Default 580 K questions

Looking at a 89-90 model Case 580K backhoe 4x4. Needs a new motor and I think a new trans. Does anyone have any experience with what this type of repair would run. The trans is the kind that the shifter is on the console to the right of the driver seat by the instrument panel. I have heard there is a difference between these and the ones with shifter on the floor. Just wanting an idea if it would be worth it even to mess with it or not. Thanks Nathan

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

Default Re: 580 K questions

3.9 cummins should be pretty straight forward. Shifter on the dash is the
    series III. I understand they are more expensive to repair but I have no idea how much.

I've been buying aftermarket parts for my 580d from equipment parts source.
    EPI
    There are several others. Should help with parts prices. I'm no help on the labor if you intend to hire it out. A diesel mechanic customer of mine charges $50 an hire for shop time.
    Scott

I would avoid K's, they are notorious for a lot of problems, electrical, severe rust. I'd skip that IMHO.

I didn't think the motor would be to hard it was the trans I was worried about. When it was running the trans was stuck in first. The shop it was taken to said the trans was fried. Didn't know how much work was involved in taking one out and replacing it with a rebuilt one. The reason I am looking at this one is I think I can get the tractor for much of nothing. It is 4x4, ext. hoe, and has the clam bucket on it all working just leaks like every old backhoe has.