Electrifying cats

/ Electrifying cats #2  
Darn!!! I thought you ment sticking kitty's tail in a light socket...

/ Electrifying cats #3  
I have wondered (before hybrids) why cars did not do this in the past. That's
how locomotives operate.

/ Electrifying cats #4  
Locomotives, mine haul shuttles, and a whole lot of equipment in the 1000+ horsepower category.

It is unusual to see diesel-electric on such a low power machine.

The very largest equipment out there, think drag lines for strip mining, is all electric. Runs on a vastly oversized extension cord. I used to work for a company that made repair kits for the extension cords.

/ Electrifying cats #5  
CurlyDave said:
Locomotives, mine haul shuttles, and a whole lot of equipment in the 1000+ horsepower category.

The very largest equipment out there, think drag lines for strip mining, is all electric. Runs on a vastly oversized extension cord. I used to work for a company that made repair kits for the extension cords.

I cannot remember the guys name right now, but a lot of the equipment like drag lines, and I think the first successful earth movers, where built by a man that did not like, actually I believe he had a downright fear of hydraulics.

I believe a lot of that equipment, evolved from his ideas, and that is part of the reason why you see so much electrics out there.

There was a book about him that was a very interesting read.

/ Electrifying cats #7  
Tigerotor77W said:
Letourneau?

Yes, I believe that was him, I think this was the book, I found it very interesting, one of the things I took away from it was how things got done a particular way, that another man may have had a very different outlook on.

Amazon.com: Mover Of Men & Mountains: R.G. Le Tourneau: Books

Yes, definetely the man I was speaking about.

Here is the Wiki thing on him. His book is well worth reading, may have to go look for it again myself.

R. G. LeTourneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Electrifying cats #8  
My mother was R.G. Letourneau's secretary for 3 years before he died. He invented the Electric Wheel which was an electric motor and planetary gearbox mounted inside a wheel. Usually powered by a Detroit Diesel or Cummins engine turning an alternator. He built all kinds of huge electric powered equipment, loaders, scrapers, log stackers and tree crushers.

/ Electrifying cats #9  
CurlyDave said:

It's the future. My brother in law smiled at me when i said that the hydrostatic drive of the Linde forklifts he was selling at that time, and the then new Fendt Vario transmission, were old fashioned, and that electric had the future.

CAT markets their open pit mine trucks by saying that their mechanical drive is much more efficient than Komatsu's electric drive...

These days, electric drive have evolved in such manner that it is cheaper to build, more efficient, and longer lasting than hydraulics (hydrostatic as well as hydrodynamic torque converters)

John Deere introduced a tractor with an electric plug, to attach machinery that would otherwise been driven by a PTO shaft or hydraulics.

It wont take 10 years before an electrical CVT is the standard in 140-200 hp sized Ag tractors.