JCB & radiator

/ JCB & radiator #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
4 years ago, I had a leak in the radiator of my JCB 1550-B. Took to shop and they fixed it.

I WAS going to simply replace it at the time but JCB wanted something like $700 for it and I thought that was pretty proud of them. The guy at the shop said he could recore it (if I recall correctly) for maybe $500. I still didn't do that feeling if I put that much into it, I'd rather just pay another $200 and get the factory part 'new' instead of another patch job.

Instead of any the above, I paid something like $100 for them to fix it.

Today, it's in need of repair again and with a vacation looming (1 week in London, 1 week in Italy and 1 week in Istanbul) I've not delved much into fixing it....nor do I want to pay for it.

Meaning...

I called JCB... they now want $1,700 for the same radiator!!! YIKES :eek:

I guess the dollar has plummeted against the pound and that worked against me.

So....

Using old numbers, it might cost $500'ish to recore or $1,700 for new.

I'm a homeowner and do not use this machine for any kind of income....meaning, it's a bonafide out of pocket expense and I can't write it off nor charge it to a job.

Anyone have any luck with a recore radiator or should I just bite the bullet and get the factory replacement when I return from my trip?

I didn't mention but I also have a small leak in the hydraulic cooler and if I replace them both from factory, it's going to be near $2,500 as I recall. I might be able to get that fixed though... I've not looked at it. I AM tired of 'fixing' the radiator though.

Thoughts?

/ JCB & radiator #2  
tlbuser said:
A decent radiator repair shop is a very good choice. If it can't be repaired, then recore. I always use that route first, replacement second. You have every reason to expect the repair to last. Do they warranty their repairs? If you want new, you could try here

Industrial Radiators All Types
or try radiator express at 1-866-radexpress