Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions.

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #11  
It is not cheap to maintain rubber track designs. They require about double the maintenance to Steel.

If the majority of work is done on grass and dirt with minimal runs across tar driveways, etc., [residential type work on farm acreage vs commerical work on tar, cement, gravel, etc.] is the maintenance for rubber tracks significantly reduced?

Or, do they simply wear down because they're rubber?

:The Gardener

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #12  
I bought my Takeuchi 135 with rubber. At 1200 hours or so the rubber tore (in by the cross links that run on the sprocket) so I swapped to a steel set of tracks. The only change-over on the Takeuchi is to set the bottom rolls down into the lower set of holes.

As for Kubota, I have never owned one of their excavators, but have rented several and my father has run 3 different ones extensively. Kubota has been useless when it comes to issues with the machine, so I wish you luck. Each person he has talked to has a different answer and different solution. The current 080 he runs has had so many problems Kubota sent out an engineer or expert of some sort to fix it, corrected one problem and created another. The owner is ready to trade it in for a Takeuchi or Komatsu. Maybe it's just the dealer here (we know a lot of it is) but even so, he's had a lot of issues.

As for rubber, the previous Kubota's had steel tracks, this one (080) the dealer told him that if he wanted steel he had to buy it with rubber and swap to steel as that is the way they have to be shipped?:confused: It has rubber and he doesn't like them, but it's a personal preference as to what you plan to do with the machine.

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions.
Thanks for the input Dirthog..

I am trying to have a local rep come and size me up a track at the moment. I did send emails to Mclaren and a few other companies. I also confirmed that rubber tracks will work with my stock undercarriage.

PS. the 80 links is for both tracks, each track has 40 links.. whoops!

Dirthog said:
There should be no change to the rest of the undercarrige at least there is none of the Kobelco-New Holland IHI that we sell also most of the Cat & Komatsu also check with a dealer who handles Value Part undercarriges McClaron also has rubber tracks but have had a large problem with there customer service (It sucks)

Attachments

• TrackMeasKH191.jpg
    TrackMeasKH191.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 647
I found this KH-191 in Europe with rubber tracks, The sprocket and undercarriage is stock. can anyone recognize the brand of track?

Attachments

• rubbertrack2.JPG
    rubbertrack2.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • rubbertrack1.JPG
    rubbertrack1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 601
   / Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #15  
cheezomlet said:
I found this KH-191 in Europe with rubber tracks, The sprocket and undercarriage is stock. can anyone recognize the brand of track?

Don't push that too far, the stuff Europe has can be very different than the USA, especialy with excavators.

Maybe so, but I am running out of resources.
I can confirm that is the same drive sprocket and undercarriage... Worth a shot if I can find the manufacturer of that track.

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #17  
I also have a Kubota KH 191 excavator and am looking to buy a final drive and sprocket. I am looking for a complete salvaged drive unit. If you know of any available contact me at (716) 481-0685 Gary.

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #18  
cheezomlet said:
I need to replace the 400mm STEEL tracks on my KH-191. I see they have rubber tracks available so here are my 3 questions:

1, If I get the rubber tracks, do I need to convert any of the undercarriage? (beside the obvious worn parts)Nobody seems to know this answer, not even my local Kubota dealer

Simply yes, you will be going from a SALT ( Sealed and Lubricated metal track) and if it is dry pin designed how do you stand the noise, to a soft track held together with rubber straps, plates with fasteners. Your carrier bearings will have to be changed to Bogey wheels usually foam filled rubber tires on rims, Urethane sprockets on the drive planetaries and a different style track tension cylinder torque arm assembly. Good luck converting for the same price of the OEM steel track replacement. If your pads or grousers have 1/2 life considered rotating you bushings and resealing your pin with new seals and fresh lubicant on a track press. I want you to understand I have never swapped designs on a Kubota Excavator but have experience with Komatsu, CAT, Deere and Camoplast, Cental Mine Equipment, and Softtrack rubber tracks with my rental fleet. We mount digger derricks and aerials on rubber tracks for Contractors and Utility Companies US wide. It is not cheap to maintain rubber track designs. They require about double the maintenance to Steel. Google Itialian Companies for your new steel tracks. You might be pleasantly surprised with pricing but watch your rockwell ratings with the DIN stardards for hardness.

Maybe it's an American thing - but over here in Europe, the changes described by ob1kubota simply aren't necessary. Generally most excavators under 13 tonne can be fitted with either rubber or metal tracks, with no substantial change to the running gear or undercarriage.

Also rubber tracks are not as described above - "a soft track held together with rubber straps, plates with fasteners." Sounds to me like ob1 is thinking more of some kind of s&m device! Rubber track technology has come on leaps and bounds in recent years providing longevity and strength at a fraction of the cost of metal tracks. I do agree however that the maintenance on a rubber track will be slightly greater - they will require replacing more often than metal, and tend to need tensioning on a more regular basis.

At the end of the day it is down to personal preference, and worksite conditions - here in Spain we are on rubber tracks as we do a lot of work in peoples gardens, and the rubber causes less damage to driveways / patios / paths etc. However my personal preference here would actually be metal, as the rocky terrain shreds our tracks in about 12 mths.

Finally take a look at the Dig Bits Website for more info on rubber tracks. It is a British company, but they ship to Spain very cheaply, and might also ship to America if you ask them nicely! ****:cool: