Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions.

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #1  

cheezomlet

Tractor
Kubota KH-191
I need to replace the 400mm STEEL tracks on my KH-191. I see they have rubber tracks available so here are my 3 questions:

1, If I get the rubber tracks, do I need to convert any of the undercarriage? (beside the obvious worn parts)Nobody seems to know this answer, not even my local Kubota dealer.

2, Where is there a good aftermarket source for steel tracks, Kubota wants $3300 ea track!

3, Where can I find good aftermarket sprockets? (or a salvage yard for the above items)

Anyone with ANY information PLEASE let me know.
:eek:

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #2  
   / Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #4  
cheezomlet said:
I need to replace the 400mm STEEL tracks on my KH-191. I see they have rubber tracks available so here are my 3 questions:

1, If I get the rubber tracks, do I need to convert any of the undercarriage? (beside the obvious worn parts)Nobody seems to know this answer, not even my local Kubota dealer

Simply yes, you will be going from a SALT ( Sealed and Lubricated metal track) and if it is dry pin designed how do you stand the noise, to a soft track held together with rubber straps, plates with fasteners. Your carrier bearings will have to be changed to Bogey wheels usually foam filled rubber tires on rims, Urethane sprockets on the drive planetaries and a different style track tension cylinder torque arm assembly. Good luck converting for the same price of the OEM steel track replacement. If your pads or grousers have 1/2 life considered rotating you bushings and resealing your pin with new seals and fresh lubicant on a track press. I want you to understand I have never swapped designs on a Kubota Excavator but have experience with Komatsu, CAT, Deere and Camoplast, Cental Mine Equipment, and Softtrack rubber tracks with my rental fleet. We mount digger derricks and aerials on rubber tracks for Contractors and Utility Companies US wide. It is not cheap to maintain rubber track designs. They require about double the maintenance to Steel. Google Itialian Companies for your new steel tracks. You might be pleasantly surprised with pricing but watch your rockwell ratings with the DIN stardards for hardness.

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions.
Wow!
Thanks for all your info! Looks like I will be sticking with the steel tracks. I did see today at my kubota dealer 2 of the same machines, one rubber and one steel. both had the same rollers and sprockeets. Must be the newer models?

I will google the italian companies, If you have any links it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks again,
Bill

Ob1kubota said:
cheezomlet said:

1, If I get the rubber tracks, do I need to convert any of the undercarriage? (beside the obvious worn parts)Nobody seems to know this answer, not even my local Kubota dealer

Simply yes, you will be going from a SALT ( Sealed and Lubricated metal track) and if it is dry pin designed how do you stand the noise, to a soft track held together with rubber straps, plates with fasteners. Your carrier bearings will have to be changed to Bogey wheels usually foam filled rubber tires on rims, Urethane sprockets on the drive planetaries and a different style track tension cylinder torque arm assembly. Good luck converting for the same price of the OEM steel track replacement. If your pads or grousers have 1/2 life considered rotating you bushings and resealing your pin with new seals and fresh lubicant on a track press. I want you to understand I have never swapped designs on a Kubota Excavator but have experience with Komatsu, CAT, Deere and Camoplast, Cental Mine Equipment, and Softtrack rubber tracks with my rental fleet. We mount digger derricks and aerials on rubber tracks for Contractors and Utility Companies US wide. It is not cheap to maintain rubber track designs. They require about double the maintenance to Steel. Google Itialian Companies for your new steel tracks. You might be pleasantly surprised with pricing but watch your rockwell ratings with the DIN stardards for hardness.

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #6  
Bill make sure you're just not looking at steel track rubber coated pads. Big difference between a true soft track in weight and ground bearing psi. The only advantage of rubber over steel is weight. The wear and adjustments and maintenance will be double to all steel components. With steel tracks the machine will dig in the terrian for traction where rubber or true soft tracks will float because of less ground pressure created by design. I will look/check out the new Kubota excavators as soon as I can get over to Talladega Int'l Truck & Tractor Company, Inc. Kubota is real funny about letting only select Dealers have a floor plan with excavators. They are the only Dealer in my area allowed to market them locally and this will be a 100 mile round trip for me so stay tuned and keep posting to the forum. Ob1....

Thanks,

I did send an email to Kubota directly asking them the specs on their steel and rubber track for the KH-191. I believe the KH-170 has the same undercarriage as the 191 (a friend owns one).

This is my first experience in owning a crawler machine. I have had many wheeled machines, including a Dynahoe 190-4 monster. Even the Dynahoe was easier getting parts! I hope this is not the case for other parts on the Kubota.... :eek: LOL

/ Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #8  
Good then you followed my lecture on ground pressures. I've had carriers hung in the mud until the pans bottomed out and nothing moved but my jaws....

With Kubota you have to find a Dealer sanctioned to sale excavators to find a good parts person that will take the time to research the changes needed to go from steel to rubber. Try some Internet searches for aftermarket suppliers that have already researched this knowledge and can supply you a kit ready to go with instructions. I wished I could help more but it's up to you now. My expertise is exhausted.

Here are the measurements I took.

Seems Kubota no longer offers the track :(

Attachments

• TrackMeasKH191.jpg
    TrackMeasKH191.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,427
   / Kubota KH-191 excavator track questions. #10  
There should be no change to the rest of the undercarrige at least there is none of the Kobelco-New Holland IHI that we sell also most of the Cat & Komatsu also check with a dealer who handles Value Part undercarriges McClaron also has rubber tracks but have had a large problem with there customer service (It sucks)