Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #1  

Dirtball

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
After years of avoiding purchasing a backhoe, I finally have enough work to justify the purchase of a $25k used machine. I've considered rental for a couple months but have a good day job that only allows a few hours a week for the projects. I've hired pro's with backhoes, track loaders, bulldozers and excavators. There's no denying the need for the machine to be available for my free labor when I have time. Neighbor has a Deere 110- and it's too little for the big stump removal I have to do. I can handle a $25k purchase of a $75/new backhoe with ?2000-3000 hours. I want a big name Cat/Deere/Case/New Holland for easier resale a few years down the road. I need help what to look for. I have hills, snow removal and don't have to trailer it.. let the comments fly. thanks

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #2  
Same situation as I was in. If you have any long term projects, it's just much more cost effective to buy rather than hire. And it's amazing the work you can do with a full size backhoe/loader.

I picked up a 10 year old NH 555E earlier this year. It had 2700 hrs., 4wd, 4 in 1 front loader, ex-hoe, cab and air conditioning for close to your price range.

A full size backhoe is the way to go for big trees, stumps, and moving lots of dirt. I have taken down trees up to two feet in diameter, and lifted and hauled the stumps. You may have to roll them around a bit to get the dirt weight off, but I have yet to tackle anything that I did not handle.

Ideally, you would have a full size, and a compact for ease of use and maneuverability. But most of us don't have that kind of money for personal use equipment.

Cat, Deere are both good, but I could not justify the extra money for the Cat or Deere name. They are all going to break, leak, and occasionally need fixing, no matter what the name.

Regardless of what you get, I highly recommend 4wd and the 4 in 1 front loader. And, on a 95 degree day like today, the air conditioned cab was nice.

EddieWalker has some great posts about what to look for in used equipment. He's very knowledgable, so I suggest you search for his threads.

VA

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #3  
I'm not trying to sway you but I will add my advice, since you asked.

I was looking at backhoes for 6 months after getting rid of my Kubota farm tractor, then someone said look at a track skidsteer. My first thoughts were nah not for me I NEED a big honkin full size backhoe.

Then one day I started looking at the skidsteers, and by chance I purchased what I have now I bought a year old 400 hours track skidsteer for 30K, new it was over 60k.

I've had it since Nov. and I have to say it's the best piece of equipment man ever invented. Some say it's the Swiss Army knives of tractors and I now believe it.

I do thing with this skid steer I would never dreamed of doing with a tractor. In one day alone I can put on a trencher attachment and dig 100' of water line, then a grappler to clean up debris, then a bucket for dirt, then a set of forks, next a backhoe attachment for a hole...yes all in one day, several attachments. I've gotten more work done with this skidsteer in a few months than I did in four years with my Kubota.

Changing attachments is quick, except for putting on the CAT backhoe, but the versatility is exactly what I needed.

Plus I was l always getting flat tires that would ruin a whole day, now never ever can I get a flat. Turning radius is 360 degrees in one spot, lifting is amazing, probably not quite what a big backhoe would do but enough for me.

I don't know what you're planning on doing, but if it involves a lot of different tasks give a skidsteer a look, they are cheap on the used market.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #4  
If you don't have to trailer it, you can get one of those oversized ones.

I bought an old ragged 555C Ford. I am very happy with having the full size hoe. I also have a skid (743 Bobcat) and a Cut (1925 NH) and they all do different things well.

Things I would look for most is being able to get parts and support if needed, scratch that, when needed. All the brands you mentioned though have pretty excellent parts support though, so at that point I would start looking for condition and features I liked.

I posed a similar question prior to buying mine and you may search on my name and see what other wrote then.

4WD is definetely nice, Mine gets used far more then I thought I would have too.

I don't have the 4 way bucket but I can see where it would be a real advantage.

Good luck in your search.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #5  
Deere and Case are very well made machines and have great resale, especially case backhoes.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size
Well I started to look. Surfed Ebay. Stopped at the local Cat and Deere shops. Looks like a good $10,000 markup at dealer on $25k machine. Just missed a great unit locally . 5 yearold 2500hr machine for $20k. I am in no immediate rush. I'd like to get something in 60 days. A 2-3000 hr unit would hopefully keep away from the repair shop for a while. I know I can get a 8000hr unit for $10k but I dont want the repair headaches. Question??---Do the backhoe controls change from brand to brand? when were all the sticks condensed to fewer 4 in 1 joysticks? ie. will any 2002 model year and up have modern controls?

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #7  
Sent you a private message dirtball. boy i feel bad calling you that. :)

I agree on the case backhoes being leader of the pack. Sure it's because I have one. :)

Darin

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #8  
Deere and Case offered the opposite 'normal' controls for their units for quite a long time, I believe 2004-5 was when pilot controls were introduced but that may only be when I just read about them. Someone else might have to correct me on that. Deere was always the "deere controls" (wobble sticks) and case always had the 3 (or 4 if an extendahoe) controls with foot pedals for swing. Like I said, even back on the old 580C's (70's model) they offered the stupid wobble stick. I've seen old 310's with case controls too, very rare though. Now it's just whatever you choose. 2002 would be case controls on case, and deere controls on deere, unless I'm wrong and pilot controls were out by '02.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #9  
What Coopers said... You can get any of the controls on the newer machines.
With the possible exception of the Ford 4 lever style (4 levers no pedals) but I haven't seen those in a long time.

If you find a nice machine with controls you don't like, You can convert with a kit from the dealer. No idea on price.

Enjoy the ride. Shopping for a backhoe can be quite enjoyable.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #10  
ScottAR said:
What Coopers said... You can get any of the controls on the newer machines.
With the possible exception of the Ford 4 lever style (4 levers no pedals) but I haven't seen those in a long time.

If you find a nice machine with controls you don't like, You can convert with a kit from the dealer. No idea on price.

Enjoy the ride. Shopping for a backhoe can be quite enjoyable.

I'd look for a used CAT 420D if I were looking for a used hoe. Pilot controls and plenty of power to spare. I'm not a fan of the 416D and the 430D is a pretty good sized machine.

There are a lot of nice Case and New Holland machines worth picking up too. They will be a lot cheaper than the CATs, but every bit as good. I prefer the CATs but the price can be a deal breaker. Same with the Deeres. I don't like the Deeres much and they are over priced more often than not. You will maximize your dollar by going with Case or NH.

I once worked for an outfit that had a Case hoe with 13,000 hours on it and it was still running pretty strong. The brakes are always a problem on the units, especially at high hours, but it was amazing that it was running that long considering it had spent it's entire life at an oil refinery where equipment gets regularly abused. It's just a testament to how solid Case backhoes are.