John Deere 440I Backhoe/Loader

/ John Deere 440I Backhoe/Loader #1  

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Bronze Member
I am thinking about going and looking at a 1958 John Deere 440I. It has a bucket loader and backhoe attachment on it. I am not sure if it has a gas or diesel engine in it. I was just wondering If I go look at it what should I look for on this tractor. I knew the tires, lines, and how it runs. but it says it suns excellent. Any help I would be thankful for.

/ John Deere 440I Backhoe/Loader #2  
Posted this in your other thread(s) too hope it helps. ;)
440ISpecs.jpg

/ John Deere 440I Backhoe/Loader
Would you by any chance know the hp of it? it is a wheel tractor it is not a crawler I know that. 80% of the hoses have been replaced. brand new $600 hydraulic pump has been put on it. New back tires. One ram on the backhoe has been replaced. it is in ok shape. has some surface rust where paint has come off. it runs good. I am going to look at it this weekend. Anything I should look for? And how much do you think it is worth? everything works on it.

/ John Deere 440I Backhoe/Loader #4  
In the book IC stands for industrial crawler, and the I is the rubber tired tractor. In the book the wheeled tractor has 27 HP (drawbar) and 90 ft-pds torque. The page that I posted covers both.

would this be a good tractor to use around the yard do you know. like to pull stumps and rocks and dig some holes? and what does that mean 29hp at the draw bar?

/ John Deere 440I Backhoe/Loader #6  
It should be ok for genral tractor duties, pulling stumps, moving rocks. We had the crawler version they have a good little engine, not very fast machines but gobs of torque, and that distinct 2 cyl. sound. (I love it)
I don't know the true definition of drawbar horsepower, but the 440 I is rated at 27.08 at the drawbar and 29.21 at the belt, which would be an early version of the modern day PTO(?) I think. Which I would assume means it puts 27 HP to the ground and anything you are pulling on the drawbar. Not great but I hope it helps. :rolleyes:

thanks man. like I said i am gonna go look at it this weekend sometime. Hopefully it will be good enough. I just want something to screw around with. my kubota is too small now. I want bigger and better. i guess the backhoe is on a 3 point hitch setup. so that is nice to be able to remove for a york rack.

thing was junk. didnt wanna run. pins were bad in the backhoe. front rams on bucket to tilt it were shot. clutch wasnt the greatest. for $2500 it wasnt worth it. ill keep looking i guess.

/ John Deere 440I Backhoe/Loader #10  
Sorry the 440I wasn't up to par. My neighbor had one for several years, and I did a lot of work on it, and with it. It had a very heavy duty front loader with bucket , and a forward/reverse lever separate from the transmission for quick back and forth work. The engine was a vertical piston two cylinder , and had plenty of power . It's a heavy duty tractor , but not too easy to get parts for it. We had some problems with the power steering pump eating up V belts .