Case 580 issues

/ Case 580 issues #1  

rexcramer

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 580C
My 580C with a 207 diesel runs great when the engine is first started, and then for about 10 minutes afterward. Once it is up to full temp the motor starts to have a slight miss and is significantly down on power, and will sometimes stall.
Once the engine stalls, if you fire it up again it will have full power for about 30 seconds and then start to lose power again.
I have changed the fuel filters and it may have helped a little, its hard to tell. I thought maybe the tank vent was plugged, starving the machine of fuel, but taking the gasket off the fuel cap didnt seem to help. I dont think the machine is overheating, the temp gauge stays in the green and the radiator is almost brand new.
There are no external fuel leaks on the pump or the injectors. Thanks for the help

/ Case 580 issues #2  
rexcramer said:
My 580C with a 207 diesel runs great when the engine is first started, and then for about 10 minutes afterward. Once it is up to full temp the motor starts to have a slight miss and is significantly down on power, and will sometimes stall.
Once the engine stalls, if you fire it up again it will have full power for about 30 seconds and then start to lose power again.
I have changed the fuel filters and it may have helped a little, its hard to tell. I thought maybe the tank vent was plugged, starving the machine of fuel, but taking the gasket off the fuel cap didnt seem to help. I dont think the machine is overheating, the temp gauge stays in the green and the radiator is almost brand new.
There are no external fuel leaks on the pump or the injectors. Thanks for the help

Lift pump ? Maybe a collapsed fuel line. Other than that is it smoking white/black puffing when it misses ?

/ Case 580 issues #3  
I don't know your machine, but your problems sound similar to what I had with my New Holland 555E. It would start and run fine, but then lose power and die, or lose power and smoke, or just start to miss and have no power.

I replaced the air and fuel filters with no improvement. I read in my manual that there is a filter screen inside my fuel pump. I took it out and found small particles of what looked like rocks to me. Might have been rust, but they were tiney and kind of round. That didn't fix it, but it led me to the fuel lines. I took them off and blew them out with my air hose. That solved the problem.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Case 580 issues
Thanks for the replies. There is no lift pump on this engine. I know there has been minor rusting in the fuel tank, but I figured the two fuel filters would handle that. There is black smoke when then engine is acting up, not a ton but more than normal.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the full tank of fuel thats in it so I can try to clean out the system.

I think the pump is a stanodyne (sp?) anyone familiar with these pumps and if there is a screen on them?

/ Case 580 issues #5  
My 580D has a 207 and "roosa master" pump. Your pump should have an ID plate on the left front under the foot feed lever. If so, there is a fuel lnlet filter on the top rear where the line comes from the filter assy. There's a few o rings and a spring with spacer that comes out as well.

Spring free length is .633"- .667" and spring rate is 10 lbs./inch
Should have a red end and a green end.

When reinstalling, torque the inlet assy. to 20ft/lbs.
I love my shop manual. :)

/ Case 580 issues #6  
I have a 580C that did the same thing. Scratched our head for days. We then removed the fuel return line from the pump to tank and it ran fine. Started checking and the adapter for the fuel return outlet from pump to line has some kind of glass ball in it. Can't figure out what it's for but we took the adapter out and screwed return line directly to pump. We did this due to my machine being stuck on a job about 15 miles away. That's been about 18 months ago and it's still running strong if not strong than before. 580C are gravity fed injector pumps.
Replied to this post just in case some one else has this problem.
Jim

/ Case 580 issues #7  
Folks1 got it, any piece of equip or truck for that matter with a stanadyne pump will not run long with too much "head pressure" thats the pressure of the return fuel trying to get out of the pump. The adapter fitting from the pump to the return fuel line has a glass check ball and spring built in it sometimes they stick from varnish build up but more often they are plugged with little black bits of rubber type material that causes the build up of pressure. The little black bits are the internal drive ring of the pump coming apart.