Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions

/ Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions #1  

rutwad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5465, Kubota M5040, Farmall H (2), Minneapolis Moline R, Case 530CK, Cat 416C
I was just wondering what you guys do for personal protection when operating with OROPS. Dozers, tractors, or else operating across a nest can lead to a stingy situation pretty fast. I remember years ago that a guy had a screen net that stayed around him as he operated his dozer. What do you do?

/ Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions #2  
I was hit twice last summer while mowing on my lawn tractor - stung 7-10 times each time. Seriously considered a bee suit that time. Last week hit a nest with the FEL on my BX. Got completely swarmed, but only stung once (before I knew it and swatted at "something" on my arm). This time I just stayed completely still in the seat and slowly backed the BX up the hill. Had to sit for 5 mins while they swarmed me. They would bump into me but no more stings - took everything I had not to jump off and start flailing like a madman.

Anyway, short of a closed cab, I would imagine the bee suit is the best way to go. Anything that is not tightly enclosed might just make it worse.

/ Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions
A bee suit would end up being a dehydration weight loss method. Well, that's an assumption, I've never actually worn one.

/ Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions #4  
Buy a mozzie net that you put over a bed and throw it over the canopy . It will follow the contours of the dash and floor and keep them out . Probably keep all the grass clippings out too . Wont look too cool but may save your life .

/ Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions #5  
Wont look too cool but may save your life .

I don't know what that item is, but "here here" (or is it hear hear) on maybe saving your life.

Several years ago I was digging with my hoe & just happened to dig into a nest of little stinging sob's. I got stung 9/10 times with most of them being on my face which stayed swelled a bit for several days afterwards.

After this, I was out mowing a field and ran over their nest, causing again, me to be stung 5/6 times, most on my arms and a couple on my face.

Fast forward to 3 years ago and it's November 30, very "cool" outside. I was laying on the couch and unbeknown to me, a very sluggish wasp crawled up my sock and was up my pantleg.

I got up to join wife for trip into town and ding...the wasp stung me on the calf.

Long story short, that little single sting by a lethergic wasp landed me in the emergency room for 2 hours and something like 5 syringes of "stuff" pumped into me via an IV they setup. I do not think in hindsight that I was in a life/death situation but it was clearly a very uncomfortoable situation (bad wheezing, hives....)

I've since started getting allergy shots for stings and what I find interesting is, of all the little SOB's that can sting you (I'm getting shots for wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, bees.... 3 different syringes)

Anyways, when they tested me for sensativity, they found that of all the stingers, I'm the LEAST allergic to a wasp sting and the most allergic to hornets & yellow jackets. I'm on the scale for wasp sensativities but OFF the scale for the others.

I now view the wasp sting & emergency room trip as a stroke of luck as it tipped me off to my newly acquired problem.

Now, I'm getting the sting shots, I also carry an epi-pen with me if I'm going to be out in the woods and also have some antihistimine pills (Clariten) stocked up as well as a couple bottles of liquid Benadryl. I can only find it for children but it's better than nothing for a quick influx of antihistime. Oh, and it's cherry flavored!! :D

I don't know what that item is, but "here here" (or is it hear hear) on maybe saving your life.

Several years ago I was digging with my hoe & just happened to dig into a nest of little stinging sob's. I got stung 9/10 times with most of them being on my face which stayed swelled a bit for several days afterwards.

After this, I was out mowing a field and ran over their nest, causing again, me to be stung 5/6 times, most on my arms and a couple on my face.

Fast forward to 3 years ago and it's November 30, very "cool" outside. I was laying on the couch and unbeknown to me, a very sluggish wasp crawled up my sock and was up my pantleg.

I got up to join wife for trip into town and ding...the wasp stung me on the calf.

Long story short, that little single sting by a lethergic wasp landed me in the emergency room for 2 hours and something like 5 syringes of "stuff" pumped into me via an IV they setup. I do not think in hindsight that I was in a life/death situation but it was clearly a very uncomfortoable situation (bad wheezing, hives....)

I've since started getting allergy shots for stings and what I find interesting is, of all the little SOB's that can sting you (I'm getting shots for wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, bees.... 3 different syringes)

Anyways, when they tested me for sensativity, they found that of all the stingers, I'm the LEAST allergic to a wasp sting and the most allergic to hornets & yellow jackets. I'm on the scale for wasp sensativities but OFF the scale for the others.

I now view the wasp sting & emergency room trip as a stroke of luck as it tipped me off to my newly acquired problem.

Now, I'm getting the sting shots, I also carry an epi-pen with me if I'm going to be out in the woods and also have some antihistimine pills (Clariten) stocked up as well as a couple bottles of liquid Benadryl. I can only find it for children but it's better than nothing for a quick influx of antihistime. Oh, and it's cherry flavored!! :D

That's terrible!

I've been hit by most everything. No allergic reaction, just pain and swelling. And that is what I would like to avoid. To be so small, they can certainly cause alot of pain.

BTW, gotta look up that mozzie thingy.

/ Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions #7  
BTW, gotta look up that mozzie thingy.

Sorry , Aussie slang for Mosquito . The ROPS would need a shade canopy or a lightweight frame (maybe Polypipe) to drape the "Mosquito net" over and would need to be held down at the lower extremes to avoid it blowing against the operator with the breeze .

If i remember correctly , wasp and bee stings can be tollerated for a while but it is an accumulative thing . After a certain amount of stings you can become alergic and it can be life threatening .

Sorry , Aussie slang for Mosquito . The ROPS would need a shade canopy or a lightweight frame (maybe Polypipe) to drape the "Mosquito net" over and would need to be held down at the lower extremes to avoid it blowing against the operator with the breeze .

If i remember correctly , wasp and bee stings can be tollerated for a while but it is an accumulative thing . After a certain amount of stings you can become alergic and it can be life threatening .

Yeah, mate....lol, I googled the mozzie net and I think they will work. I think I will drape it over a 2' circle handing beneath the canopy. Something big enough to cover the operator in his seat.

And I believe you are right about bee stings. Even for someone not allergic to them, enough stings can kill anyone. I've been hit about a dozen times all in the back of my head. No reaction, just alot of PAIN. Something I prefer to avoid.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

/ Yellowjackets and OROPS- a terrible combination. Need suggestions #10  
I hit a nest of yellow jackets 2 days ago. I was using the backhoe at the time. I dove off the hoe and into the cab in record time. Makes me thankful that I have the cab tractor.:)