new Fecon carbide teeth...balancing...

/ new Fecon carbide teeth...balancing... #1  

TMTS

Silver Member
Tractor
ASV 4810, JD 540 skidder, Barko loader
I just picked up four new teeth for my Fecon...carbide teeth- look alot like the old ones...but apprently not...

the guy at the parts desk said that the new ones weigh about a 1/4 to a 1/2 lb. less that the originals...so you have to replace two teeth at a time, and in a specific pattern to not upset the balance of the drum.

has anyone else heard of this?

Seems pretty lame to me to make a "replacement" that you have to fuss with and isn't a real replacement...

disappointed...

-Eric

/ new Fecon carbide teeth...balancing... #2  
I would not consider that to be a replacement tooth. I think that would be a redesign.Can you find some old stock? On some heads I am not sure you could find a tooth 180 degrees off close enough to that part of the drum to keep the head balanced.

/ new Fecon carbide teeth...balancing... #3  
Eric,

I am about ready to put a whole new set on in the next month. I have a few new teeth of the "old" style, maybe 4-5...not sure.

If those don't work out for you let me know we can get you a few of these.

/ new Fecon carbide teeth...balancing... #4  
i dont know how stuck they are, but the one opposed, at 180ー can be used back at a different location, cant it ? That means you'll be replacing 6 teeth, 4 new ones and moving 2 old ones.

/ new Fecon carbide teeth...balancing...
Daniel Nissley seems to think that I can mount some of the new ones with some of the worn old style ones, as the older ones now weigh a bit less and might be closer to the lighter weight of new ones...

still seems lame to me to design a tooth that is supposed to replace a certain model- weight, mounting, etc..and then it isn't quite the same...

-Eric

/ new Fecon carbide teeth...balancing... #6  
For this time, I must say Fecon is right on this. :D

Rotor balancing is much more delicate than it seems. On our rotors, if you start mixing Type 1 (premium) and Type 2 (standard) blades, there's a pattern that is best to follow to limit vibration during work, since both are slightly different in weight. Where the extra weight is positionned on the length of the rotor, and at which distance from the axis of the rotor, has an impact on vibration. And a rotor balanced at a certain speed might vibrate at a different one. Talk about something straightforward... :p