small dozer options

/ small dozer options #1  

Groo

Platinum Member
I do some shopping for my father.
He already has a 35hp 4x4 Kubota with a bucket and backhoe

He is in the market for a small used dozer to cut roads in the wood amung other jobs. Something that could be hauled with a 3/4 ton truck.

my initial thought would be a used komastsu d21 or a class 3 dozer

I am thinking a Nortrac (new would be in his price range) at 3 tons would be too small. Some of the skid steers run 5 to 6 tons and with either tracks or track conversion kits might do a better job.

what are your thoughts on the Nortrac and Skidsteer options.

/ small dozer options #2  
You could certainly be more versatile with a skid steer machine however, for grading roads, the dozer would certainly be my choice.

You could pick up something like used deere 450 or a D3 at a good price, especially right now since it is buyers market and they could still be moved with your pickup.

I would have more faith in one of these machines used than I would a new Nortrac.

/ small dozer options
do you think the skidsteer would be too low on traction? or is there some other reason.

I would of course be using a 6-way blade.

/ small dozer options #4  
I looked for a good JD 350C for about two years before I found my Cat D3. The D3 is bigger than I wanted but has done a very good job cutting in roads and such... I've had it almost 10 years.

Parts are as near as my CAT Dealer 5 miles away...

/ small dozer options #5  
do you think the skidsteer would be too low on traction? or is there some other reason.

I would of course be using a 6-way blade.

A skidsteer is not going to give you the traction and the pushing power that a dozer will with a single grouser track.

/ small dozer options #6  
I have an F250 3/4 ton pickup truck and consider my CUT tractor about as big a load as I'm willing to haul with it. For a small dozer, I'd want a one ton with duel rear tires and trailer brakes.

Eddie

/ small dozer options #7  
Heck yeah go for a small komatsu or mitsubishi dozer. I have NO experience with the nortracs but do have 18 of the komatsu and mitsubishi dozers. Darin

/ small dozer options #8  
I've had a JD350 for years. These old JD's are part of the ag division & parts are available at the green ag dealerships.

I have driven A Nortrac, they are small, biggest problem is mild steel tracks streeeetch... constant maintenance.

A CTL is handy if you need a loader but nothing carves up the landscape like a dozer.

/ small dozer options #9  
never used one, but rayco makes a small dozer set-up similar to its c87 and c90 units...

2004 RAYCO C87D Dozer - Crawler For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

also - you can sometimes find an older ASV 4810 that has the 6 way dozer attachment on it- you raise the loader arms, quick-disconnect the hyd lines for the loader, use the frame mount (not on the Quick attach plate) to attach the dozer blade and use the joystick to run the dozer blade...hard to find, but it does a nice job...

/ small dozer options
I saw a simmilar crawler, a 96 ICC D6000 a bit closer to home, (and thats what got me thinking about a skidsteer type unit) but I would be afraid of parts availibility for an oddball unit.

Also the previous coment about the mild steel Nortrac tracks has me a bit worried that these minidozers might be using the same track