Top speed - 1972 Case 580CK

/ Top speed - 1972 Case 580CK #1  

sweetjeep

Bronze Member
Hey folks,

I have a '72 case 580 CK. New to me. It's a hydro drive beast and, unless I am missing something. It's god awful slow.

By which I mean: I don't appear to have any 'range' selections. Just the forward and reverse pedals. There is a creeper/"cruise" lever on the steering column which works, but I am not counting that.

As for the speed.. I'd say that at roughly half throttle full speed is basically a quick walk.

Is this correct? Normal? Am I missing something?

The only other item of note is a black knob on the lower left of the dash labled "shift speed" or something similar. But it doesn't appear to do anything.

Thoughts??

thanks!
Morgan

/ Top speed - 1972 Case 580CK #2  
sounds like the range lever got disconected.

I doesn't make sense that it would be that slow normaly, you might as well have tracks if thats the top speed.

/ Top speed - 1972 Case 580CK
Where is the range lever? It's quite possible I haven't even seen it yet! I have very little time on the machine and until now, haven't needed it to go any faster.. I just sort of assumed it would go when I pushed down more..

I bought it basically just for the backhoe but I do need to transport it about a mile and a half from time to time.

/ Top speed - 1972 Case 580CK #4  
Where is the range lever? It's quite possible I haven't even seen it yet! I have very little time on the machine and until now, haven't needed it to go any faster.. I just sort of assumed it would go when I pushed down more..

I bought it basically just for the backhoe but I do need to transport it about a mile and a half from time to time.

FIL has a '77 that has the range lever located at your feet, nearly under the seat.

I believe it has 3 ranges...

Hope this helps.

Lunk

/ Top speed - 1972 Case 580CK
It might! :) There is a lever down there that doesn't appear to have a purpose!

I'll look around a bit and see what I can find.

Thanks!