Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #11  
Dmace, Any Idea how deep you can dig with the Yanmar Vio 27?

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #12  
Dmace, Any Idea how deep you can dig with the Yanmar Vio 27?

The specs for the new Vio-27 say 9ft digging depth and I believe that is the same as the 2 year old rental Vio-27 I use. It is a really great machine with smooth controls and a comfortable layout.

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #13  
Well I just picked it up... I went down to the bobcat dealer first to look at what they had.... I wasnt impressed. Their 323?? I think was the closest model they had to it, and looked like a toy...

I have been digging it the back yard, so far it is working very well.

It has aux hydraulics for a thumb.... How usefull are they, and what can they be used for beside stumps and rocks?? Anything??

Thanks for all of the help!!

Congrats on the new machine:D I hope it does well for you.

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #14  
I bought a used IHI28J 3 years ago. I told the wife I would sell it in 2 years and get my money back. Well I havent figured out what 2 years is yet !!!!!! LOL It comes in so handy I first thought about a backhoe for my Kubota 4310 but I would have been limited with the use of the tractor. I have put over 400 hours on it in 3 years and I dont plan on selling it.Even my wife enjoys using it and she handles it very well . Its a 6000# machine I can load it in my dump trailer and haul it with my Super Duty.

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #15  
I bought a used IHI28J 3 years ago. I told the wife I would sell it in 2 years and get my money back. Well I havent figured out what 2 years is yet !!!!!! LOL It comes in so handy I first thought about a backhoe for my Kubota 4310 but I would have been limited with the use of the tractor. I have put over 400 hours on it in 3 years and I dont plan on selling it.Even my wife enjoys using it and she handles it very well . Its a 6000# machine I can load it in my dump trailer and haul it with my Super Duty.

Thats my thoughts about having one. I would rather leave my tractor set up as a grading tractor and have a separate digging machine.
I find when I put the BH on, I need the gannon, the the gannon, I need the BH. I operated one og the new Bobcats at the sales yard and loved the way it handled, Sooo smooth. Terry

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #16  
I wasnt impressed.

Then why'd you get it?

It has aux hydraulics for a thumb.... How usefull are they, and what can they be used for beside stumps and rocks?? Anything??

You can grab anything with a thumb. Pull stumps, move logs, grab brush...it's endless.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 797
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 449
  • 120D 4.jpg
    120D 4.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 3,369
   / Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #17  
Then why'd you get it?

Did you read what he wrote?

I went down to the bobcat dealer first to look at what they had.... I wasnt impressed. Their 323?? I think was the closest model they had to it, and looked like a toy...

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help
Spent the whole day at the property yesterday with new excavator...

Couldnt be happier.

I have Brazilian pepper tree's (invasive) and have been mowing & pushing them up with front end loader them like crazy. But there were hundreds more growing next to existing other large trees that I was planning on removing one at a time.... (and was not looking forward to it) I found I could remove most up to 3" or so by the root with one swipe, and the larger ones up to 5-8" in five minutes or less.

Did seem like it could use little more hyd power sometimes, others seemed like it could tip machine over it had so much.

/ Thinking of Buying Mini Excavator--Need Help #20  
8934...on the thumb be sure the hyd system is not a one way (not sure that is what they are called) for a hyd jack or such as they only have pressure on direction.

If you are just digging dirt then I would not get a thumb. If you are moving anything other than dirt....GET A THUMB. If digging up trees or stumps you can dig them and then pile or load them so easy. You probably have a manual and have read it but don't miss the different if lift (tipping) capacity over the front end or the sides and over the rear. You probably have greater lift capacity over the rear with the blade giving some ballast. I have also found if digging like on slope (in my case piles of dirt) I let the rear end face the pile and then use the blade to level my machine. You would do well to get in a wide open area and play with it with weight in bucket would be great but even empty will give you some feed back how stable it is with the bucket as far out as possible over each side. If you install a thumb and begin to lift and swing with loads or even with out a thumb if you are pinching a log or large stump and the machine begins to tip...be ready to drop that load to save your machine and possibly you. But you must drop it before the machine very far over or it will continue.

Be careful on a thumb..there were some on ebay that will really disappoint you. Be prepared to spend about a $1,000. Ask and find out who locally builds them for the big boys. One want a shop that either has the specs on your machine or will come measure it and of course weld it on unless your booms has the lugs already part of it's design.

Get you a large can of wasp spray and have it handy and unless you have a windshield wear eye protection. Then last but not least, be sure what you are pulling towards you if you have open cab..you do not want to pull a wasp or hornet nest or snake in there with you. HAVE FUN