Case backhoe 580B "Construction King"

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills
Case backhoe 580B \"Construction King\"

8/23

Well, instead of putting a hangon backhoe on my tractor, I am looking at a Case 580B which is marked "Construction King" Based on the serial #s (different ones on different parts--could be a made-up machine), one of which is 5227672, it is about a 1971 or so in age. A few hydraulic leaks, very smoky on startup and thru the cc breather (blow by?), but no other major problems evident, other than a certain looseness/creakiness/jerkiness with noise in the joints. Power appears OK, but I am not an expert.

2WD with average rubber. Power shuttle shift, 4 speed.

I would really appreciate comments re:

How do I look for problems and what are the weak spots of this model?

Where could I find the model specs, hp, etc?

What would an overhaul of the engine cost, given the age and the apparent blow by, etc?

What is it worth? He is asking $7K. I have already asked a dealer (who checked his books if it was in there, not sure), but would like to have unbiased opinions from this forum.

Thanks as always!

Jim

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #2  
Re: Case backhoe 580B \"Construction King\"

Boy I'd really think about renting something unless you really need a long term machine. I saw 4WD extendahoes, mid 90's vintage going for $18K at the auction, a whole bunch of them. Newer 580s are completely different hydraulically from the old "B"s and are as strong as older excavators.

Parts and service will be $$$. It's nice to have your own machine, but for the bigger stuff I always rent a nice, new excavator which can do tremendous work in a day or two, and if something was to go wrong, I grab my chair, my ice tea, the phone and say. BRING ME ANOTHER ONE! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

del

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King"

8/23

Del, ole buddy, if most of us on here were half-smart, we wouldn't own these 'spnsive tractors, /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.

Really, though...rent? Now wadda be the fun in that? And you really expect me to do the right thing after feeling the power of that hoe? Such confidence in my intelligence is...well, never mind /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Thanks for the comments, I did talk to the local Case dealer today who opined $2500 to 7500, and warned that one could spend $15 gs on a full rehabbing. He was not sure if the one I was looking at had replaceable sleeves, which would make things easier. I did notice a lot of looseness in the hoe end particularly (remember you told me to try one of these out b4 concluding on the larger tractor mount hoes, in that prior thread), so that is a factor.

Dealer has a Case 480 (1991) that he wants me to look at, $14500, more than I want to spend. He says it is smaller than the 580, though, and now out of production, replaced by the 580L. For that much I want 4wd, too and it does not have it.

He mentioned something else: prior to the 580C the transmissions were not power shuttle, but manual clutch shuttle. Is he right? He said the PS models are much more saleable.

If you find the Heavy equipment forum info, I would appreciate your posting it here.

Thanks
J

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #4  

jgh,

I own a Case 580-SE. I at one time owned a 580-B. The condition of the old B, fit close to the description you have posted. Except mine had a weak HYD. pump and a fair engine. The pump alone was going to cost around 2500.00, Discouraged, I sold the old rag for 4500.00 I only owned the machine 8 months due to the fact that, every time I started it, it would have a new problem.
I purchased this late 80's model 580-SE, that has the Cummins engine with the Case Power Shift Trans. The entire machine is very tight. In 4 years of ownership I have repacked one HYD. cylinder and replaced a couple of hoses (hyd). plus, added some 1400 hours to the clock. This SE is fast,smooth operating, fuel eff., and has ample power (H.P. and HYD.) to handle every job, I've tackled with it. If you are looking to buy a machine in this condition. Expect to pay between 14 and 15k maybe more.

In regards to the 480. I own one of those as well, Its the 480FLL Loader/Landscape tractor. Its a late 80s model as well. The 480 has been painless. However, with some 8k hour's on it, its time for a rebuild. The only thing I have repaired on this tractor was, an igntion switch 58.00
I had considered a complete rebuild, but the cost is not justifiable. (around 10k) I plan to trade it in on a little later model, less cash trade difference than the rebuild, and have a later model machine in better condition.
So far as the 480 for a back hoe machine goes, Its an okay machine, but lacks in weight and power vs. the 580. If you have any heavy jobs in mind, be prepared.

Case Dealer, (Future Equipment Co.) at times has, used units for sale on a very attractive finance plan. Make your best deal, then dive on their finance plan. If that doesn't fit your needs then, I recommend, the Heavy Equipment Trader Magazine as the next place to search for, used equipment.

I, for one would, avoid the old B-model in that condition and at that price. Its weak points are, in its age, and the technology of that time. Hope this is of benefit to you.

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #5  
Re: Case backhoe 580B "Construction King"

My grandfather owns the 580B COntruction King and I am looking for a "Mod Hitch". Does anyone know a good place to look?

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #6  

8/23

Thanks for the comments, I did talk to the local Case dealer today who opined $2500 to 7500, and warned that one could spend $15 gs on a full rehabbing.

Dealer has a Case 480 (1991) that he wants me to look at, $14500, more than I want to spend. He says it is smaller than the 580, though, and now out of production, replaced by the 580L. For that much I want 4wd, too and it does not have it.

He mentioned something else: prior to the 580C the transmissions were not power shuttle, but manual clutch shuttle. Is he right? He said the PS models are much more saleable. J

I wouldn't give $7500 for the B or $14.5K for a 1991 480 'cause there's better deals out there. The dealer's wrong about power shuttle before C because I have a '68 CK with power shuttle which I gave $5k for 15 years ago. That was a high price but I knew the machine & the owner, a friend, needed the money. Power shuttle is much better for FEL work as you can maintain push while lifting without spinning the tires or slipping the clutch. If you find a power shuttle model try it out until the torque converter heats up, some loose a lot of power transmission when thoroughly warmed up.

Unless you're capable of doing the overhaul work yourself and have the time to do so buy something reliable. If time's not an issue you won't find any attachment for your current tractor that will dig like the CK FEL or backhoe. The older CKs have great reach. When you get into the extend-a-hoe models the reach is about the same but more complex. As for 4wd, you can't get a CK stuck anywhere that 4wd would take you. With the FEL & bachhoe you can drag that machine anywhere. MikeD74T

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #7  

When I graduated college in 1976 I worked a year for a small construction company w/ 3 580Bs. They worked every day. I think something a little newer would be better unless you consider yourself a Jaguar owner...have enough money to afford a car that spends 70% of the time in the shop....

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #8  

I have a 580 CK,--(1968---diesel), good condition, bought used about 5 years ago for 2K and still use it all the time!----7 is way too high! thanks; sonny580

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #9  

If you want to save money and go older in my opinion a 580C is as old as you wanna go. I could be wrong but I believe the 580D is the first model Case gave the option of 4x4. Case builds great equipment and their backhoes are very solid; however, some of these old hoes need a sharper eye when buying because some people buy these to abuse in the yard and at home and that is not a machine you want. I personally love the 580C and D's so I wouldn't talk anyone out of buying one. I actually like them more than the new 580M's. Really, $7K is not that out there for a 580B backhoe. That would be near max price IMHO and oddly enough I have seen some go for higher which is ridiculous.

/ Case backhoe 580B "Construction King" #10  

Since the OP was asking about nine years ago, I wonder if he bought the machine.

Roy