Bench Grinder

/ Bench Grinder #1  

johnnydel29

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
I am tryinmg to decide betweeen a 6" or 8" bench grinder. I will be using it to mostly to sharpen blades and grinding metal (bevel edges etc.).

Is an 8" better??

Thanks.

/ Bench Grinder #2  
Either one will work. It's about like a tractor, a smaller one will do just as good a job all be it a bit slower. I don't know about sharpening, but for beveling steel and things of the like I prefer a machine of this type.

If you can afford it I would go for the 8" and make sure you get one with a good quality motor with a nice power rating.

/ Bench Grinder #3  
I'd go at least 8". The larger wheel presents a flatter surface for grinding.
That doesn't matter for sharpening, but is noticable when doing other types of work.

Vic

/ Bench Grinder #5  
I have several grinders and generally prefer the 8 inch over the 6 inch. As was mentioned it cuts flatter and is quicker. In some applications flatter isn't better as hollow ground can make a nice sharp edge however you can put a 6 inch wheel on an 8 inch machcine but not the other way around. I suggest getting more than one grindrer though. It's nice to have at least 4 different grades of wheels available without having to change them around. I counted mine and have 5 grinders 4 sanding belt/plate machines that are used to sharpen stuff.

/ Bench Grinder #6  
I've got a 6" with a brush on one side that my grandfather built from a 1920's(?) washing machine motor back in the '50's. All I use it for is blades and bevels (and probably less than 10 times a year). Larger would just take up more space.

/ Bench Grinder #7  
The bigger you go, the more surface area that you will have on the stone and the more power you should have for removing material. For sharpening, you really want a fine stone and again, the more surface area that you have, the easier it will be to sharpen drill bits, or whatever you are sharpening.

One thing that I think seperates the junk from the decent grinders is the rest. The junk grinders tend to have thin rests that have large gaps between them and the grinding wheel. I like to have a rest that goes right up close to the wheel.

1hp is about right for most things. Less power will disapoint you.

Take a look at the Wilton. Ebay has them listed for $120.

For more money, you can get a much better grinder, but for this amount, you can get a good one that should do anything you need it to.

Eddie