Tractor
    JD 2305

Default Bench Grinder

I am tryinmg to decide betweeen a 6" or 8" bench grinder. I will be using it to mostly to sharpen blades and grinding metal (bevel edges etc.).

Is an 8" better??

Thanks.
    JD 2305, 54" MMM , 200 cx loader
    Woods 60" landscape rake
    4 x 4 Harrow drag
    Husky 357XP Chainsaw
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180T welder
    Harris Oxy/ Acetyl cutting torch
    Rigid Chop Saw
    Huge Garage w/ a Nice Work Bench
    Husky Gas Power Washer (good investment, get one)

5 acres - cleared and wide open

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Re: Bench Grinder

Either one will work. It's about like a tractor, a smaller one will do just as good a job all be it a bit slower. I don't know about sharpening, but for beveling steel and things of the like I prefer a machine of this type.

If you can afford it I would go for the 8" and make sure you get one with a good quality motor with a nice power rating.
    Kubota B2620
    LA364 FEL, BH65 w/ 16" Bucket, Kubota 6 position mechanical thumb

Tractor
    Kubota B3030

I'd go at least 8". The larger wheel presents a flatter surface for grinding.
    That doesn't matter for sharpening, but is noticable when doing other types of work.

Vic

Silver Member Terra Firma Scott's Avatar
    Tractor
    Cat 257 B High Flow

I wonder how that grizzley will work on steel blades.....
    Regards, Scott

2004 CAT 257B HIGH FLOW, 72" BUCKET, 60" ROOT RAKE w/GRAPPLE
    2007 53" LOFTNESS TIMBER AX

Platinum Member

I have several grinders and generally prefer the 8 inch over the 6 inch. As was mentioned it cuts flatter and is quicker. In some applications flatter isn't better as hollow ground can make a nice sharp edge however you can put a 6 inch wheel on an 8 inch machcine but not the other way around. I suggest getting more than one grindrer though. It's nice to have at least 4 different grades of wheels available without having to change them around. I counted mine and have 5 grinders 4 sanding belt/plate machines that are used to sharpen stuff.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

I've got a 6" with a brush on one side that my grandfather built from a 1920's(?) washing machine motor back in the '50's. All I use it for is blades and bevels (and probably less than 10 times a year). Larger would just take up more space.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

The bigger you go, the more surface area that you will have on the stone and the more power you should have for removing material. For sharpening, you really want a fine stone and again, the more surface area that you have, the easier it will be to sharpen drill bits, or whatever you are sharpening.

One thing that I think seperates the junk from the decent grinders is the rest. The junk grinders tend to have thin rests that have large gaps between them and the grinding wheel. I like to have a rest that goes right up close to the wheel.

1hp is about right for most things. Less power will disapoint you.

Take a look at the Wilton. Ebay has them listed for $120.

For more money, you can get a much better grinder, but for this amount, you can get a good one that should do anything you need it to.

Eddie