best chains for skidsteer

/ best chains for skidsteer #1  

msjanket

Silver Member
I just bought a used skidsteer and it obviously needs chains on the back tires while plowing snow or running on icy roads. One question I've never seen answered is this; should the cross chains going across the tread radially be close together or spaced more? Closer spacing means more chains going over the tread and a lower psi rating for digging into the hard packed snow or ice...lower psi rating means the chains dig LESS into the icy covered ground. Less radially placed chains means MORE psi and deeper digging into the icy substrate.
Does this argument make sense? Do I want chains with more cross members or not? Obviously, less cross members means a bumpier ride, but I can tolerate that. I just want to know what I should buy to maximize my traction. thanks, all

Mike

/ best chains for skidsteer #2  
I just bought a used skidsteer and it obviously needs chains on the back tires while plowing snow or running on icy roads. One question I've never seen answered is this; should the cross chains going across the tread radially be close together or spaced more? Closer spacing means more chains going over the tread and a lower psi rating for digging into the hard packed snow or ice...lower psi rating means the chains dig LESS into the icy covered ground. Less radially placed chains means MORE psi and deeper digging into the icy substrate.
Does this argument make sense? Do I want chains with more cross members or not? Obviously, less cross members means a bumpier ride, but I can tolerate that. I just want to know what I should buy to maximize my traction. thanks, all

Mike

I make snow chains for a living...

you have a couple of options.... if you are running on strictly gravel, go with V-bar cross chain... if you are on pavement or cement, get "square link".... First off, no matter what you decide, on the outside, get the cam lock sides... it is a funny looking thing that when you stick in a tool, you turn it and it gets you chains on really tight and eliminates the need for bungie cords.... You will get better traction and a better ride if you "double duty" your rails... in other words... single duty has 4 bare links between each cross rail, double duty has 1 bare link between cross rails.. only problem if you double duty it is, where the cam lock is, you can't put a cross rail.. .no biggie.

In the end, it all comes down to price and how much you can afford

Darren