Need opinions on older JD backhoes

/ Need opinions on older JD backhoes #1  

tx_swordguy

I am looking for an older (80ish) 60 +/- hp backhoe. I was looking at a 580D with a couple of "small" issues that I don't think is really too risky. Just recently a JD 310A model backhoe came up. I have not been able to look yet (2hr drive). Owner states the engine was rebuilt prior to his getting it about 6 yrs ago. Previous owner rebuilt the engine (apparently it took a while) while it was sitting the tranny seals/gaskets went bad/dried out, so he sold it to current owner. Current owner had tranny rebuilt at that time (6yrs ago) and has put approx 500-600 hrs on it. He states it doesn't smoke and it works like it is supposed to. He does say it has a couple of small leaks here and there. I have been looking HARD for info on the JD 310a model and have found very little other than it is within the hp rating I am looking for. Case 580d has 5000 hrs on a broken hour meter so I do not know the true hrs. JD supposedly only has 600 hrs on engine/tranny. Price of 580D is 10,500 JD price is 8500 obo. I am looking for a farm unit averaging about 100 hrs a year +/- . Case unit looked like it had been used fairly easily and appeared to be a sound unit except for a diesel injector pump leak (idle has a miss/bobble to it but is fine throttled up) and a leaking outrigger hard line (easy fix) Anyone heard good or bad about the JD 310A?
Mark