JD 310A backhoe good or bad?

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #1  

tx_swordguy

Looking for opinions on older JD 310A backhoe. Parts? reliability? ease of maintanece etc?
Thanks Mark

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #2  
Dont know anything about this backhoe, but JD generally has a reputation for having parts available for a long time after the model is discontinued. This is one of the reasons I purchased a JD.

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #3  
I have a older (year????) 410 TLB its a good machine and you can get parts for it, maintenance it's pretty basic

Attachments

• IMG_0056_1.jpg
    IMG_0056_1.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 1,973
  • IMG_0058_1.jpg
    IMG_0058_1.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 1,098
   / JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #4  
Looking for opinions on older JD 310A backhoe. Parts? reliability? ease of maintanece etc?
Thanks Mark

The thing about older machines is how it's been kept. If it's been maintained properly and not abused..if the previous owner replaced worn out parts..you've got a chance ..if not.... well, keep looking.

Here's a link to Deere site parts look up. John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #5  
Have a '79 JD 410 backhoe/loader purchased used.
Its the next size bigger than a 310.
Have had minor hydraulic problems, (hoses, o-rings, steering cylinder seals, etc) but overall have been satisfied.

The reverser gave a problem once, would barely move in high range.

Replaced 2 O-rings (one is teflon and both were ordered from Deere) on priority valve that goes between valve body and transmission case.
It was leaking.
This wasn't the problem.

A little pin in the reverser linkage underneath had sheared. Replaced the pin and it has worked fine since.

I do operate it sensibly and keep maintenance up.
Parts are readily available at JD dealer here in NC.
Some parts may not be in stock, but they always arrive via UPS in a couple of days.

Would definitely recommend a service manual.

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #6  
I have a older (year????) 410 TLB its a good machine and you can get parts for it, maintenance it's pretty basic

Whoa.. that's a sweet lookin' 410!! Musta been owned by an old lady that only used it on weekends to buy groceries and go to church in!! :D

You really scored when you found that!!

AKfish

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #7  
hahhaa old lady. lol!

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #8  
I have a 500A, it's about a 1970, guy up the road had a Deere backhoe that is about a 1967 or 68 that he uses in his buisness. Still can get parts for these machines. The controls on mine are very smooth. I have run several modern/newer machines, Ford, Cat and Deere. With the exception of extend-hoe, 4X4 and swing cylinders Vs swing motor I see no real advantage on the hoe end of the machine over the newer machines I have run. Newer machines the loader is much stronger and can lift higher.

Maintenance is easy, I do have manuals for mine which I had to buy through Deere. Other than a few leaks I really haven't had any real issues with the machine, and it was well used before I bought it.

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #9  
The old JD hoes run a long time. My biggest concern would be pin slop in the hoe and loader. If it was greased regular they should be in good shape. If neglected you can get into a lot of work and dollars trying to tighten things up.

/ JD 310A backhoe good or bad? #10  
I just found this old thread but just recently bought a 1983 (1st year for the 310B JD backhoe.

It is loose in spots. After some injector cleaner use it runs fine and sounds like a new on at idle. It had a leak on both ends but only cost me $16 for a new hose for the hoe and tightening fittings on the front.

There is a forward reversing issue. When it gets hot (the fluid not the engine coolant) it will not pull forward in high range. At first it would not even push a load forward in 1st but the more I use it the better it has done. Any ideas on this reverser issue would be welcomed.

From Ebay I have the factory service and parts manuals. When cold/cool the reverser passes the shift speed test just fine (2 seconds) and as it does the "kill the engine at idle" times (5 sec max). When cold forward time for clutch to lock and kill the engine is 4 sec and when hot in 8th it can be never. In reverse it will kill the engine hot or cold in two seconds. The reverse clutch meets specs just fine either cold or hot which indicates to this novice it is not a fluid flow problem use to a filter, etc but for some reason there is pressure being lost in the forward clutch at some point.

The 300 series JD BH are kind of like the 500 series Case. If cared for and serviced well they can last a long long time. Look hard but the first time it is really hard to know what to look for.

Getting the reverser issue addressed on mine is my main concern. I am the only user so I can manage the wear points until I get them tighten up. I am pleased to own my first JD. :)