Default Hard Start/No Start Issue

1985 JCB 1550 backhoe w/ perkins 4.236 turbo diesel. Recently having hard start and no start issues. First thing in the morning a few days ago motor would almost start and then just keep turning over. When i finally get it started no smoke or loss of power obvious. Even after it is warm some times will crank right up and sometimes it doesnt. This morning no start at all. No puffs of smoke while attempting to start. Fuel tank cleaned. Lift pump cleaned, filter 2.5 hours old (getting new one anyway). I have pulled all the lines off, pulled filter off. Blew air through every line waiting for two new seals for the lines into the injection pump. machine runs good when it runs but I cannot get it started. What the heck is going on??

Elite Member

Default Re: Hard Start/No Start Issue

What is your 'on/off' mechanism ?

Electronic or manual ?
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

If your not getting any smoke when you are doing the extended cranking then your not getting any fuel. You could possibly have a leak in the suction side of the fuel system. Not hard to find with a fuel sight glass installed in the suction side. Like Willl said, electronic or manual shut off system? Since diesels do not have a ignition system like a gas engine they are shut off by turning off fuel to the engine. If it's manual make sure the linckage is getting full travel, if it's electrical make sure the solenoid is working properly.

Tractor
    Kubota B2630, '53 Farmall Super H, '47 Farmall AI, '44 Farmall A

Is it possible your fuel system is becoming airbound when it sits? I had an old gm 6-71 years ago with this issue. I put a check valve on the fuel supply line to the pump and problem solved.

It is a manual stop. I have made sure it is off while starting. It is a Lucas/CAV DPA pump. An "in" line and an "0ut" line and 4 lines to the injectors. Only sight glass is at the bottom of my fuel filter. Nothing obvious regarding air there.

Platinum Member

ou said you cleaned the tank, does your fuel line have a shut off that may not have been opened again? Just pulling at a string there. The next thing is you might have more than one fuel filter. An air lock might also be the issue. If you have a manual pump, have a buddy run the manual pump while you crack open the fuel lines on the injectors a little bit until you get "air free" fuel coming out. A little air in the fuel is ok, but you gotta have fuel in there. If your injectors are in your valve cover, then crack open the ones on the injector pump itself and bleed them there. That should get some fuel to your engine. Good luck!!