Any Telehandler Recommendations?

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
It looks like my dad and I are in the market for a telehandler (or telescopic forklift, or whatever it's called). He's working on a two and half story house and thought he could get by with renting one. He had it rented for a couple months (to the tune of $4,000) and decided that:

1. He's gonna need it for several more months (@ $2,000/mo)
2. It might be handy for other things
3. When he gets tired of it, he can probably sell it and get a good portion of his money back, almost certainly enough to offset the rental cost)

I've been looking on Machinerytrader.com and found several units that look like they could do the job within the price range (around $20,000). The only real requirements are that the unit be 4wd (of course) and have at least a 42' reach (that's what the rental was and it was just big enough). Lift capacity is not that much of an issue, given that it is farmowner use (again, the rental lift capacity was plenty - it was either 6,000 or 8,000 lb close up).

Any things in particular to think about when looking at telehandlers (I'm thinking like dozers=undercarriage, backhoes=pins and bushings, etc.) How can you tell if a boom is worn out (do they wear out?).

My only experience with these units have been with the Gradall that we have had rented (it seems okay) and a Pettibone unit that I used when building my house - it was my neighbors and he let me borrow it for free!!! Unfortunately, he sold it a couple of years ago.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #2  
rtimgray. I have owned Gehls DL 42' For about 15 yrs. Very satisfied low
cost to own.John Deer engines easy accessibility for maintenance.Tightest
turning radius out there.On booms Lulls or more expensive to repair.Gelhs
use friction pads like most others.There about 3/4 inch thick. Only replaced
fronts my self in 2000 hrs.I like foam filled tires.Gelhs,Skytrack,Lulls in that
order is most popular around Wichita Ks.I would look around in your area at
dealers to see what used there because you may need help with repairs.
I use them in my framing business.Would not do with out them there or at home. Good luck. Framer

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #3  
had my first exposure to a telehandler this weekend helping a buddy of mine cut down some trees around his house...used a CAT TH63...great machine very stable and easy to use...this one belongs to his boss who just picked it up for 22k$ has 2800 hours on it and is a 2001 model...he bought it at a repo auction

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #4  
A JCB Loadall would be my first choice. I really like what I have seen of the JCB units' design and construction. JCB is the original telehandler manufacturer and is still market share leader worldwide. Also, JCB also makes some units designed for ag use. JCB is still family-owned and has zero debt...that tells me something.

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #5  
I didn't see where you were located, in the northern part of the country some brands hold up to use in cold better than others.

My uncle has a JCB that he bought used, it is a great machine. I really like the handling, I can see out of the cab(not to bad with the blind spots), it has really good 4 wheel drive and gets through the mud, and he has a dealer here.

On a used machine you might look into the cost of parts, some brands have a reputation for being spendy on parts. the other thing that always gets me is if a new model is coming out, seems like 2 days after I buy anything the new model comes out and I lose 20 percent.

Remember, look at the dealer of that brand, he is your source for parts and service. I have heard good things about Lull but the dealer here is a rental company that I don't feel I can trust. just an example

You might lease/rent to own and see how you like it. In todays economy the sellers will most likely let you try it out for a week if you agree to pay rental if you don't buy it. You will not lose much and may save yourself from getting a machine you don't like

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #6  
I would second the Cat TH63. I've had limited experience with the ownership/repair end of things, but we rented one for 2 months when we built our house...was easy to use, had three way steering, good leveling, plenty of reach, etc...I have no ldea of pricing, but it was very well worth it for us...

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #7  
I would let condition and price guide you. I have run Gradall, Cat, Gehl and Skytrak. I have a friend with a Cat TH63. It seems like it is way nicer than my 6036 Skytrak with a fully enclosed heated cab but my Skytrak has better visibility for setting beams and materials at second story heights. My Skytrak is also very easy to work on.

The similiar sized Gradalls I have run seem more stable than my older 6036 Skytrak, Gehls seem ok as well.You get used to whatever you run and in my case the price was right and so was the condition.

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations?
It looks like we are going to end up with the Gradall that he had been renting. At first the rental company didn't want to sell it, then apparently they changed their mine. It ended up being about $4,000 cheaper than the Gehl that we looked at. The Gehl was a nicer machine, with a little less reach, but he has had the Gradall for 4 months and has good experience with it.

The only downside is that the Gradall only has 2 wheel (rear) steering and the Gehl was 2, 4 or crab steer. Also, the Gradalls 4wd is hydraulic powered on the rear, and it wasn't working while Pop had it rented. The rental company has committed to fixing it prior to delivery.

Thanks for the advice.

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #9  
Check out Bobcats and Caterpillar Telehandlers, They are beasts when it comes to power. But,

Also I know New Holland this april (2009) is coming out with a new transmission for there AG tractors that will have a top speed range from 50-60KM/h. I wonder if they will be making a version for thier telehandlers also, might be worth looking into, Imagine how much you could get done going 55KM/H from site to site.

Jaxxson,

/ Any Telehandler Recommendations? #10  
Good luck with your gradal.Had a rear steer yrs ago they maneuver very well
Framer