need some dozer advice

/ need some dozer advice #21  
That 450 in the first photot has a tilt blade, look at the front and see the back of the blade with the little plates with the 3 bolts in it. Those are slide ways. thats whal holds the blade ends like a thrust bearing. The tilt should be in the ceneter horizontally behind the blade atthe top. I like this set up on a small dozer with a straght with a tilt. The 350 and 450 crawlers were both based on the industrial 350 and 400 tractors. They are a tough little tractor the forestry still uses one a 350 gas buerner and a 450 as backups with there fire fighting units and tree planting. Some stright blade 450's came whet out a tilt but had everything else but the cylinder. I put a junkyard cylinder on one once and undid tha blade loacks and put a lever on the extra controll valve. I think that tractor would be a bargain even if it had a straight blade only. Ive built many roads with a straight no tilt dozer and my dad has for nearly 50 years so the tilt is really just a conveinience.

/ need some dozer advice #22  
The rake will really come in handy for cleaning up your fields. I have one for my dozer and found that it really cuts down on how much dirt you get in your burn piles. Of course, you still get dirt, but not as much. One disadvantage of the rake is that you will find those hidden stumps with it every time!!!! Getting it on and off is also a challenge. Just be sure to take it off next to a tree where it will stay in position that you can hook it up again. I use my backhoe most of the time, but sometimes I've had to rely on how well I positioned it when I took it off. Be sure to chain it to the tree too. It will fall over if you don't. With the chain, I like to have it leaning away from the tree so that I can get in under it with the blade and pick it up. Once I have it resting on the top of my blade, I work on getting the pins in. Sometimes they go easy, sometimes I get to beat them in with the sledge hammer.

I don't know why you would want it adjustable. I raise or lower the blade to keep the tips just touching the ground. Mine extend a fair bit below the blade, which allows the dirt to pass through when pushing stuff to the burn pile.

Since buying my grapple, I haven't used my rake. It's allot better to pick up and carry debris to the burn pile if you have that option. Even with a rake, the dirt builds up on the burn pile and it doesn't take long to get several yards of it piled up. In my case, it was hundreds of yards when I built my lake!!!!

Eddie

Attachments

• Dozer with Rake.jpg
    Dozer with Rake.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 175
   / need some dozer advice #23  
Buy that dozer!! I have a 450 c with the six way, That one has a straight with tilt blade, and is much much tougher in the area of pushing trees and brush. If it is a true C model it has wet clutches. I rebuilt my engine and it cost around 4000 for the parts alone. It is a good model machine, I would buy it in a second for that price and in the condition I see it in.
rick

/ need some dozer advice #24  
Forestry dozers usually are maintained very well. They have to perform without a breakdown while putting out fires. They also have a very very rough life. An hour meter is not a good indicator on a Forestry dozer due to the added abuse they take over a construction dozer. But for the money I wouldn't hesitate at all.