need some dozer advice

/ need some dozer advice #1  

mahindraman

hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting a dozer to clear up some land i have and came across a one today and was wondering what to look for when buying one used. A buddy of mine has a john deere 450 dozer and he just rebuilt the motor,and hydraulics and also put new tracks on. He said he would let me have it for $5200..I've serched the web and this seems to be a pretty good deal...it's an early 80's model..so, what do you guys think?

/ need some dozer advice #2  
I can't believe he just rebuilt the motor, hydraulics and new tracks and now wants to sell a JD450 for $5200.
Seems the rebuild or the tracks would have cost that much.
In what shape is the undercarriage. Is anything in need of replacement.
$5200 is cheap for a 80's dozer especially with all that work just done.
Ask him to demonstrate this dozer. If it performs well then purchase it, use it and resell for a profit.

/ need some dozer advice #3  
If it runs and turns ok, then buy it. That is a steal and you won't be sorry. At that price, even if there is something else wrong, you would be able to get the parts and fix it. Load the blade so that the dozer won't go forward, if both tracks spin, you should be in good shape. Remember, this is a ranch dozer, not a dozer that needs to be working 8 hour days to make you a living. There might be parts that are warn out, so what, as long as the machine works. We have a 1943 Cat D6 with 9 bizzilion hours on it. Most guys would tell me that we were crazy to be running it. All that I can say is that we have about $2500 in it and it still shakes the earth. It does what we need it to do and has paid for itself 10 times over. Go buy that dozer.:D

Attachments

• p2190046.jpg
    p2190046.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 296
  • p1080068.jpg
    p1080068.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 410
   / need some dozer advice #4  
Around here you can get a heavy equipment mechanic to come and evaluate a machine for $100-150. It is a friend of yours so it may well be as he said but it sounds to cheap for what has been done to it. How many hours on the machine?

MarkV

/ need some dozer advice #5  
If it runs and turns ok, then buy it. That is a steal and you won't be sorry. At that price, even if there is something else wrong, you would be able to get the parts and fix it. Load the blade so that the dozer won't go forward, if both tracks spin, you should be in good shape. Remember, this is a ranch dozer, not a dozer that needs to be working 8 hour days to make you a living. There might be parts that are warn out, so what, as long as the machine works. We have a 1943 Cat D6 with 9 bizzilion hours on it. Most guys would tell me that we were crazy to be running it. All that I can say is that we have about $2500 in it and it still shakes the earth. It does what we need it to do and has paid for itself 10 times over. Go buy that dozer.:D

Holy heck is that the '43 dozer in those pictures? it looks in AMAZING condition. WOW.

Anyways $5200 is really dirt cheap for that machine or any machine for that fact, Its probably worth that much in scrap metal. Take it ASAP for that price, who cares whats wrong with it, it can always be fixed.

Jaxx.

/ need some dozer advice #6  
Gotta love that old D6 with the LeTourneau PCU! It looks like it must have been set up to pull a scraper, there isn't any overhead cable run for a dozer blade. I'd love to see it sometime!!

/ need some dozer advice
i am not sure how many hours it has..I am going to look at and drive it tomorow..he did tell me he had about $5000 into it. Ill let yall know how it goes but i think for sure i am going to get it.

/ need some dozer advice #9  
Gotta love that old D6 with the LeTourneau PCU! It looks like it must have been set up to pull a scraper, there isn't any overhead cable run for a dozer blade. I'd love to see it sometime!!

Actually the cable for the blade runs through a tube on the right side. And it is set up for a 6 yard pull can and a sub soiler with 3 rippers that rip 30" down. I mentioned $2500 that we have in the D6, we also bought the 12" disk in the picture and the 6 yard can and sub soiler for an additional $1000. :D

/ need some dozer advice
well, i went by to look at the dozer today but wasn't able to drive because it was pouring down rain all morning:mad:I did have a few questions for yall though. The lift arms and the whole hydraulic assembly is mounted on the outside of the tracks as aposed to the inside that i've seen on just about every one listed on the web...was wondering if that is an advantage or disadvantage and why it would be set up on the outside as aposed to the inside. he is unsure of the hours but has no hours at all on rebuild. thanks