maintenance for Kubota mini excavator?

/ maintenance for Kubota mini excavator? #1  

Ken45101

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator
As suggested here, I'm renting a KX-121-3 before I buy it. But if it goes well, I plan to purchase it.

The unit has 496 hours on it and looks very well maintained. I'm wondering what the major maintenance points are on the unit. For example, is it due major lube/oil/filters at 500 or 600 hours? If so, I plan to ask the dealer to perform the maintenance as part of the sale.

I intend to ask for the maintenance history (it's a Kubota dealer) but I'd like to know what's expected and upcoming rather than relying on what the salesman tells me. Right now, he doesn't know the history since it was at one of their other locations.

I can't find any maintenance info on the Kubota website but 500 hours seems like it might be time for PM.

BTW, the asking price is $25,900 with 12/24/36" buckets and a thumb. That seems like a pretty decent price from what I've seen.

Thanks.

Ken

/ maintenance for Kubota mini excavator? #2  
If it's a rental unit; I'd expect that the dealer serviced it to the manufacturer's specs. And grease, wash and inspection before/after every time it went out the door.

Also believe that the dealer should have a copy of the owner's manual on hand for you to review.

After looking thru the manual - you'll have a better idea of what to look for when you see the maintainence history, too.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ maintenance for Kubota mini excavator? #3  
Be weary of rental units also, most people who rent them don't give a hoot about the machine (its not theirs). So go by your instinct,

What year is it? Is there still warranty?

Also check the bushings in all pivots, hydraulic leaks, and if its pilot operated, make sure the sticks are in good condition inside and out, they take alot of handling. Also, tracks, even for mini excavators they are extremely pricey to replace.

Jaxx,

/ maintenance for Kubota mini excavator?
Yes, I know some rental units get beat up. This thing looks in almost new shape. I took a friend along who has owned heavy equipment and he thought it looked great.

It was sitting next to a new unit and they didn't look much different in condition. The tracks looked darn close to the tracks on the new one, probably 80% or better. It's a Kubota/NH dealership so maybe they took better care of it than they typical construction rental outfit.

OTOH, I briefly looked at a smaller Yanmar (probably grey market) advertised on Craigs List for half the price. Six times as many hours on the meter, pretty well beat up, tracks in bad shape. I'll gladly pay the difference for the Kubota :)

Ken

Be weary of rental units also, most people who rent them don't give a hoot about the machine (its not theirs). So go by your instinct,

What year is it? Is there still warranty?

Also check the bushings in all pivots, hydraulic leaks, and if its pilot operated, make sure the sticks are in good condition inside and out, they take alot of handling. Also, tracks, even for mini excavators they are extremely pricey to replace.

Jaxx,

/ maintenance for Kubota mini excavator? #5  
I Have a KX121-3 with 610 hrs, bought it when it had 75. I would say change the drive motors oil, engine and hyd filter + oils, wait for pilot control filter and make sure the swing teeth and ball is greased. Everything should be regreased and keep the tracks tensioned. They are very well built and I couldn't be happier with mine. Check out the LawnSite heavy equip. forum, there are current discussions about the KX121 going on right now which I think would help you.

/ maintenance for Kubota mini excavator?
Thanks for the comments and the heads up on LawnSite. I hadn't been over there in a couple of days.

Ken