Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal?

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal? #1  

Rollin Black

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Hello.

New to dozers but looking to purchase a small one to do some clearing of under 5 acres. Mainly small alder 4" to 6" inches and brush. Also gravel driveway upkeep.

Thinking about a Komatsu D21A-6. Seller says it has a good undercarriage, is a 90-92 model. 2293 HRS, sn: 68013. He is asking $8500.

Any hints/thoughts/advice?

Thanks

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal? #2  
Seems like a good deal to me. It is about the same dozer I have. Next time I think I will buy one with just a little more power.
Hello.

New to dozers but looking to purchase a small one to do some clearing of under 5 acres. Mainly small alder 4" to 6" inches and brush. Also gravel driveway upkeep.

Thinking about a Komatsu D21A-6. Seller says it has a good undercarriage, is a 90-92 model. 2293 HRS, sn: 68013. He is asking $8500.

Any hints/thoughts/advice?

Thanks

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal? #3  
Since it sounds like you are new to 'dozers' I'd strongly suggest hiring a dozer mechanic to do the walk around.

Might be the best $100 or so you'll ever spend on that machine.

I talk from first hand experience.

I could take a crapped out dozer and do a demo that would cost you thousands within 2 weeks of operating it.

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal?
Thanks for the good advice. I plan to bring a dozer mechanic with me to check the dozer out.

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal? #5  
Dozers create roads.

Maintenance is best done with some other equipment.

The clearing part sounds good but have you considered what & how to deal with the debris? A skidsteer mulcher could clear your 5ac in 1 day leaving the original surface covered with woodchips.

Turning a small dozer can kick up a knee high berm, put enough of those & craters, changing drainage patterns, causing standing water & you have a real mess. Timing the work & weather is important as a dozer can quickly create a large mudhole that may not dryout easily.

Dozers are definitely not swiss army knives.

I'm not down on dozers in fact I have one a JD350. Works great sidehill plowing, discing, cultivating. Trailbuilding, clearing, pond building, etc.

Just be mindfull of the support system it needs.

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal?
Dozers create roads.

Maintenance is best done with some other equipment.

The clearing part sounds good but have you considered what & how to deal with the debris? A skidsteer mulcher could clear your 5ac in 1 day leaving the original surface covered with woodchips.

Turning a small dozer can kick up a knee high berm, put enough of those & craters, changing drainage patterns, causing standing water & you have a real mess. Timing the work & weather is important as a dozer can quickly create a large mudhole that may not dryout easily.

Dozers are definitely not swiss army knives.

I'm not down on dozers in fact I have one a JD350. Works great sidehill plowing, discing, cultivating. Trailbuilding, clearing, pond building, etc.

Just be mindfull of the support system it needs.

BarryinMN thanks much for the good solid advice.

I have been reading many threads over the past several days and have learned alot, much very similar to the info you also provide.

There are better solutuions for the job at hand, and for me, the costs of an unknown used dozer (up front, maint, & other hidden costs) I am far better off finding a pro with the right equipment to do the work.

Then, maintaining things afterwards with my little tractor.

Have learned a ton from this forum and its many helpful members.

Thanks.

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal? #7  
A skidsteer mulcher could clear your 5ac in 1 day leaving the original surface covered with woodchips.

What kind of steroids is that skidsteer on??

/ Looking to buy a Komatsu D21A-6 - Fair Deal? #9  
Ok.. you are talking big stuff. The ones on the skidders and such I can see making some big strides in one day. I would think his land would have to be almost just light brush to be cleared in one day with a skidsteer.