Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines?

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #1  

Hysyde

Gold Member
Eastern Ontario, Canada (South of Ottawa)
The landscape company I'm working for this summer has just bought a new 760B Fermec backhoe/loader. My only experience is with Case and Cat b/h's. Is this a good machine? Any thoughts on Fermec in general, which I believe is manufactured by Massey Ferguson?

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #2  
I'm not sure if its good or bad but any print add that starts with"we must be crazy,only $39000 for a tlb....." just has to leave ya wondering,are they really crazy? or can they just not sell the things cause they're junk.Last time I checked a new Cat 420 goes for about $75000 W/extendahoe and cab.It really depends on the end user and what they are using it for and that will determine if its good for them or not.

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #3  
Fermec is the company that used to build the Massey Ferguson TLB. Then Case bought them. Now they are owned by Terex.

There are some up here. Seem to be a good machine with plenty of bang for the buck

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #4  
A friend of mine has fifty or sixty 416B's and 416C's. He swears by Cat. I get to borrow one every now and then and find real Cadillacs. But Ford New Holland has came by and offered him their tractor comparable to the 436 for thirty nine thousand. Cat wants seventy for the 436 according to my bud. He said the New Holland guy said right up front they're wanting to buy in to the market.

So sometimes price isn't as good a criteria for judging quality as you'd think it should be. I'm not saying the New Holland is as good as Cat. But is Cat twice as good as the New Holland?

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #5  
And to top it of the cat drive line is made by New Holland Because all of there part numbers are listed in our computer system. The amazing part of that is the cat part number has a list price that is usually twice as much as the same part with a New Holland part number.

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #6  
Spencer,

NH marketing sets the price for parts, why not make them 2x or 3x? As an OEM typically parts are 4X+ the cost to mfg. Then sell them to CAT for 2X that. Just marketing.

Carl

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #7  
Allow me to set the record straight regarding the Cat driveline. The engine is made by Perkins, now owned by Cat; the torque converter and transmission are made by Turner, now owned by Cat; and the FWD front axle as well as the steerable rear axle are mady by ZF. On the current machines only the rear axle is made by New Holland.

JT

/ Are Fermec Backhoes Good Machines? #8  
yes you are right but they did make more of it at one time.