Vermeer stump grinder not starting

/ Vermeer stump grinder not starting #1  

Schultz

Gold Member
Tractor
BX-2200
I've got a Vermeer grinder that has a Wisconsin 65 hp v4 engine. I've got no spark right now. I had spark until a wire or the ignition switch shorted out. It's a wire that runs from the ignition switch to the carb, it melted through the casing it's entire length, then the ignition coil went up in smoke and popped it's case. After replacing the ignition key switch and the coil I no longer have spark.

Does anyone have any advice?

Does anyone have an electrical schematic of the starting system?

What does the wire to the carburetor do?

Should I see 12v at the ignition coil, or does the magneto (if it has one) just pulse it when it should spark.

/ Vermeer stump grinder not starting #2  
Need pics. How old is it?
Probably something with the points, if it has them? Wire to carb? Might go to electric choke, might be anti-dieseling valve.
Need more info.

/ Vermeer stump grinder not starting
It has a manual choke. I'd have to check if it has points. It's just that it would start fine before the whole melt down/ shorting thing. I'll get some pics. The model is a V465D if that helps. Not sure how old it is, just got the thing.

/ Vermeer stump grinder not starting
Thanks, I read through the posting but I think I must have a short or another wire that isn't connected right. That guy seemed to have magneto problems.
I don't have a magneto since, the engine has an ignition coil, right?. I checked the gap on the points and they're set right. Which makes sense the engine was runing fine until the ignition switch/igniton coil meltdown.

The wire on the carb goes from the ignition switch and then to the ignition coil. So what you mention about shorting to ground makes sense, but I've never seen something like that attached to the carb.

I wasn't able to get pictures, it's been raining all day and the machine is outside. I also didn't work on it today.

if anybody else has any suggestions I'll take those too.

Thanks,
Tim