Removing a hydraulic cylinder from jd 710 BH

/ Removing a hydraulic cylinder from jd 710 BH #1  

slicktierney

Tractor
KX41-2
I've got a 70's JD 510 with the factory option of a 710 backhoe on the back. How do I get the main lift hydraulic cylinder out of the backhoe arm? There doesn't seem to be enough room to remove it. As I fix leaks, other things start leaking. I will post a picture tommorrow. Thanks
Kevin

/ Removing a hydraulic cylinder from jd 710 BH #2  
A picture or schematic will help, but normally you remove or disassemble anything in the way first, then you'll have room to get the cylinder out.

This sounds like a heavy unit, and the proper tools and equipment will be a big help maneuvering heavy parts durring disassembly. a crane or high stout branch of a tree and a chain fall, not to mention HD jacks and jack stands.

/ Removing a hydraulic cylinder from jd 710 BH #3  
I've got a full sized JCB so I presume you have a full sized one also.

From what I understand, if I wanted to remove the main cylinder on my BH, I 'd have a problem because the cylinder is longer than the hole is. The way around this (in my case) is to dig a hole where you can "bury" the backhoe arm and by doing so, in my case, give your self access to the cylinder and remove it.

I've never done this but on my machine, I can see how that would be necessary. The cylinder in my case, is INSIDE the boom arm and not external like I've seen on some machines. The hole for insertion is near the pivot pin so once you imagine the hoe buried and extended into the ground it's easy to see how it works.

I DID once take the dipperstick cylinder off (single handedly), had it repacked and reinstalled it (alone)

I do NOT recommend anyone try that with these things. now that I know what I know regarding the stupid "little" dipperstick cylinder, I'd have to be a nutcase to try lifting the main cylinder alone.

Hopefully this will work for you or if not, you'll find an easier way.

/ Removing a hydraulic cylinder from jd 710 BH
Thanks for your replys. I was able to get it out by turning the hoe to the side and laying it out flat unpinning the rod and retracting it. We used an engine hoist to pick it up. Going back in should be worse.