tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks

/ tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks #1  

jdrax

I have a skidsteer and want to build a tooth to uproot rocks

I have an extra universal mounting plate for the front but not sure what to use to make the tooth, how heavy etc

anyone have any pics or recommendations

/ tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks #2  
Not sure what you should do, but I'm interested in what you end up with. It sounds like a good project. If it works I'll make one for my skid steer..:D

BTW welcome to TBN

/ tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks #3  
OK, everyone is going to laugh at this, but here are a couple of pictures of what our ancestors used to clear the fields of New England with, using oxen, of course. I liked the idea of the twin blades, somewhat thinner than a subsoiler, and I liked the reach though you wouldn't need to clear the oxen's hooves. With hydraulics, and some thought, it just might be workable.

Attachments

• Billings Farm Museum 048.jpg
    Billings Farm Museum 048.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Billings Farm Museum 049.jpg
    Billings Farm Museum 049.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 238
   / tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks #4  
Would a subsoiler type of plow work? How deep you have to go for the rocks?

/ tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks #5  
I wanted to get a subsoiler, partly for my rocks, but the ones I found were too big, or too small for my use. I did buy a middlebuster, and have used that with some success for rolling out some pretty good sized rocks. Other than the reach from the 3pt hitch, I think a subsoiler would work very well, and leave a minimum impact on the surrounding grass, etc. I bought some steel to make a subsoiler type blade for my middlebuster, and expect that it is going to work pretty well. If anything, I think the angle of the subsoiler blades might be a little closer to 90 degrees from the ground level to work better.

/ tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks #6  
I have a skidsteer and want to build a tooth to uproot rocks

I have an extra universal mounting plate for the front but not sure what to use to make the tooth, how heavy etc

anyone have any pics or recommendations
I made a rock bucket using old car axles for teeth. They are really tough and are hard to break but I did manage to snap acouple. but i was digging rocks out of stone piles and the piles were in the fence rows so there was a lot of trees and roots I had to dig out also.
I used about ten of them spaced 3in, with a 3/8x3in plate welded back about 6in. The ends were welded to heavy angle and the rest of the bottem was made up of scrap steel with 3in slots. It's about 4ft wide, 3ft long, and the back is 2-1/2ft high. I welded angle from the top angleing down to the teeth for the sides..
I don't ave any pic's but hope this helps. I have it on my asv4520 and have moved 4000lb rocks with it after diging them out of the ground so it will dig. I have also used it to dig trees and stumps. I've moved over 600yards of stone as I put in a road across one end of my lake. Hope this helps. Old axles are very hard to come by now as they have all ended up in scrap. They also work very well for tie stakes for dogs if you leave the bearing plate on as they will swivel. Just drive them in with a sledge and you can pull them out. Had lots of them left over from my sled racing days.

/ tooth for uprooting rocks, big rocks #7  
I have had good luck using a standard 48" set of pallet forks.
Slide the 2 tines to the middle and drive them in under the stone then pry them out. The tines on pallet forks have incredible steel in them.
Ken