first time running excavator

/ first time running excavator #1  

welderboy14

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 325
i was cereus what was the first excavator you ran and how old were you:confused:

i was 5 when i first ran a excavator by my self it was a 1998 ex60:D

thanks

/ first time running excavator #2  
I was in my 20's. We rented a Bobcat 331 for a drainage project we were contracted to do. I have ran backhoes before that though but don't remember all the details. My daughter was still 3 I think when she ran her first excavator by herself. It was just a 1 ton IHI but she drove it up the hill, we let her dig in a gravel pile and then she drove it in the barn and parked it. this would have been quite close to her fourth birthday though so she may have been 4

/ first time running excavator #3  
I was 32, that was... 3 weeks ago, in ClearViewGroup's Takeuchi 175, running a DAH-080C head. I wouldn't hire myself just yet :D

Attachments

• Operator Fred.jpg
    Operator Fred.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 240
   / first time running excavator #4  
I was also about 5 or 6. An Insley (yellow & black). That was a cable and pulley drive operated machine. Had a pony motor in the back to start the diesel with an inertia clutch. About a 1 yard bucket. Levers, brakes, clutches, cable drums and foot controls. Learned how from the owner who needed an extra hand to help him stack railroad ties over rocks being dynamited. He did the tie arrangement, I did the bucket and chain rigging. Soon I was digging topsoil and he was driving the dump truck. I even made an operating scale model of the "digger" out of Erector set parts, wood, string and other stuff from an old toy crane. Used to make sewers in the sandbox using organge juice concentrate cans with both ends cut out. School soon interfered with that job....

/ first time running excavator #5  
Used to make sewers in the sandbox using organge juice concentrate cans with both ends cut out. School soon interfered with that job....

Ahh yes the school sand box :p. Not an excavator story, but we used to excavate the clay like stuff they used as a base material. We would then mix it with water and pour into small brick molds, then build miniature adobe houses.
We had quite the construction site going, till the school interfered!

/ first time running excavator #6  
Fred, you did pretty good, I didnt know it was your first time...but then again you did have a great coach sitting in the "Git R Done" seat helping you along! hahaha :cool:

/ first time running excavator #7  
Never an excavator, but I ran a Case 450 crawler TLB all around and dug with the hoe at 9 back in '05. That thing was great, we'd still have it if the backhoe wasn't stolen. We disconnected it for a week or so on the other side of the property. Then, as I was dirk biking, I noticed it wasn't there. I talked to Dad about it. But when we investigated more, we noticed that whoever took it left their plywood there. 4,500lbs of wheeless, bulky, metal-STOLEN. We asked a scrapper what whoever took it could've gotten for it. He said around $400-500. We lost $8k. Bought it for $12,500 as TLB. Sold it for $4,500 as just a loader.

Kyle

/ first time running excavator #8  
Poor TLB. My first was a Kumatsu, i think a PC75? I was 10 and my dad had it sitting in my step mom's rock yard. What a fun toy. To bad he sold it since it was out of work. I have drivin numerous TLBs.

/ first time running excavator #9  
I'm 43 and have never run an excavator. I'm deprived!!!

Eddie