Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again...

/ Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again... #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
I figured my days of needing a backhoe were over and when the few times popped up when I needed one, I'd just rent one. I think the one I sold was a Case 580K. I know it was a Case 580, but I'm not positive about the "K" part. Anyway, about the only thing about it I didn't like was that it was only 2wd. I had to use my loader and hoe to get out of a lot of spots I could have driven through with a 4wd model. Anyway, I sold it for what I paid for it and I got to use it for about 4 years. I figured I did well.

That brings me to today. I've since bought several more parcels of property (about 200 acres worth) and I'm about to buy the farm. :eek: No, not that kind of buying the farm, but buying what's left of my wife's old family farm. By the time I add that to all the parcels I currently have, I'm going to have the need to use a backhoe on a pretty frequent basis for the next several years. That puts renting one out of the question. I have a JD 5525 now that could easily handle a backhoe, but it keeps pretty busy and it just doesn't seem all that convenient to have a backhoe on a cab tractor. Maybe I'm wrong on that matter and it's no real inconvenience since I haven't tried one, but it sure looks to me like it would be a PIA. Taking that into consideration, I think I want to buy another used full sized backhoe in 4X4. I want to buy one for around 20k. I have no idea if that is realistic or not. I haven't even started to look. I wanted to ask the guys here who have current experience what brands, models etc. are pretty good now and about what I could expect to buy for that amount of money I want to spend. Ideas?

/ Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again... #3  
Since you already have tractors with FEL's, you might think about getting a mini-excavator...that would definitely be in your price range as there are great deals to be had now.

/ Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again... #4  
I always seem to gravitate to a cabbed 310 upgrade on the used lot, then remember my self imposed 5 ton machine limit for trailering. :)

/ Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again... #5  
Dargo,

You didn't say what you wanted to do with the backhoe? Move dirt? Dig trenches? Take out trees?

I agree that 4x4 would sure be nice. I don't have it on mine and wish I did. That's one of my biggest mistakes. Right now my front tires are off of mine, and out getting foamed. I've had too many flats clearing roads to deal with it anymore.

They say the new J series Deere's are pretty good, but for older machines in that price range, you're probably best sticking with either Case or Cat. I have New Holland, which has been good to me, but they are playing games with parts and making my buy more then I need in order to make simple repairs to my cylinders. The Perkins engine is pretty good, but some of the parts on it are from Eastern Europe, and not of the best quality. I've replaced my starter and alternator with Bosch models. The store didn't even want a core, he said they were not worth rebuilding.

The best thing on mine is the ability to switch from bucket to forks to grapple. I converted it to a skid steer quick attach. It's ten times the machine it used to be because of this!!!!!

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again...
Dargo,

You didn't say what you wanted to do with the backhoe? Move dirt? Dig trenches? Take out trees?

All that plus taking down assorted out buildings, putting in new septic systems and digging out old concrete pads along with all the other things that pop up. Fortunately I'm not in any rush to get the equipment and, when I do, I do have a 20k trailer (leaves me about 14k load) to haul it. I suppose I'll start looking around and checking out what the equipment looks like in the price range I want to stay.

/ Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again... #7  
Since you already have tractors with FEL's, you might think about getting a mini-excavator...that would definitely be in your price range as there are great deals to be had now.

I'll echo this. An excavator allows 360 degree movment, tracks for great traction, and 20K will get you a fairly decent unit.

I rented a Terex Backhoe unit for a month when I first bought this place. It was a beast in 4x4 and I got alot done. I've since bought my L4240 and a second hand bobcat 325 mini excavator. If I could do it again I would have bought a New slightly larger excavator and second hand tractor. The excavator digs better, is more manuverable, burns less fuel, is more stable, floats better and is half the weight of the backhoe.

Atleast this way I can put the wife or a friend in the tractor and myself on the excavator and get twice.... well 1.75 times the work done. Hah

Put a thumb on the excavator and it's the ultimate machine minus not having a PTO.. haha

/ Fifteen years after I sold it, I need it again...
I'll have to check out those mini excavators. I rented a pretty good sized excavator for the last 2 weeks when I was finishing my lake. I don't recall the size, but it had a 2 yard bucket on it that would come pretty close to 3 yards heaping full.

Being that I already have a reasonable sized tractor with a loader, maybe a mini excavator would fit my bill. I'll have to start studying them since I know zero about a mini excavator.