Mini Excavator

/ Mini Excavator #11  
9/7

Wow, you guys have been busy last few days. One of the reasons I have not been on here much until last night was looking at excavators.

Del, you should write professionally. I almost cried I laughed so hard, though you are brave to even recall some of the stuff that has happened to you.

Right before easing into that ditch did you yell, "Hey buddy, I'm a heavy equipment operator..." to one of your logger friends?

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

[sorry could not resist, 'least you know I read your stuff, huh?]

Seriously I appreciate your thoughts (after all you got me started--don't worry I won't give your addr to my wife /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif), let me add a couple.

Fixing the things is expensive, but smart shopping can save $$ since many parts are generic (most pumps are Bosch, etc). Handling a multi-ton machine is where some of the cost comes in. How much cheaper are construction backhoes to repair?

The cost of rubber is about right. On a Yanmar B50-2 (1993) gray mkt being sold by Wakita (the US Yanmar excavator importer), Ken Byrd (their pres) mentioned about $2500 per side+labor to replace.

You can figure wt on an excavator from the model #:
For Yanmar, Komatsu, and many others, the (metric, 2200#) tonnage is the model / by ten, or similar. ie, B50 is 5 tons, Cat (remove the leading 3) 307 is 7 tons.

"Maximum" and other digging depths are tricky. Like farm tractor hoes, you have to watch the rating method, 2 ft flat bottom, vertical wall, etc.

Controls are really easy to run. With modern pilot hydraulics (where a light duty line runs thru the controls to relay your directions to the heavy lines actuating the bucket, stick, etc), it is easy to look good /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif.

They are quiet /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif! The small Japanese engines found in almost every one I have seen are whisperers. Even the German built Shaeff uses a Mitsubishi powerplant.

Engine HP varies across brands on similar size machines, something no one has explained yet.

Consider zero tail swing if you are going to work in close quarters. It means that if you can get the bottom of it near something, the rear of the carbody will not hit the building, etc /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif. But the bucket still can /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif.

Extended hoes can be found if rarely. Much less common than with backhoes. The Yanmar B27-2B is one, 5 ft wide and about 7500#, but will dig over 12 ft, normally only done by a 5 ton. Bobcat 331E is similar.

Ken of Yanmar/Wakita has several extended hoe B27s he would really like to sell, new and reasonable.

Offset booms/sticks can be found, but there is some compromise on power.

Rental yards like the Bobcats. Reason, unknown. They tend to sell them off soon (2 yrs) and high, per the prices on rental sale sites.

Gray market machines have their origin in the bad economy over in Japan a few years back, I believe. Nothing sinister, and the prices are good. Most have US parts suppliers (Yanmar, Komatsu, etc), but I would buy an English service manual before the deal is dry as did Del.

Look ma no tracks--if you want to see a really weird machine, see this one, a 6 ton Komatsu:
http://www.beveragetractor.com/komatsu4.htm

Couple of other references:
Major article on buying used excavators in Equipment World:

http://www.equipmentworld.com/frames/magazine/story2.htm

general article on mini/compact excavators
http://www.equipmentworld.com/frames/magazine/archives/9912/9912feature1.htm

To wrap this up-The local Cat dealer has a few he wants me to see, but they are pretty high, so I am leaning toward working on that B50-2 with 2000 hours and about 60% left on the rubber-covered gold tracks, for an asking price of $18 (before any bargaining). No warranty, though 30 days love it or return it seems to reign on these things. I guess your shaking out the bugs for them has some value if does come back, who knows.

I would bet as the others say, that with the multi-modal positioning and relatively small size that a mini/small-excavator offers, it is one versatile big hydraulic pump.

How 'bout it, Del & Cowboy, what did I miss?

Jim

/ Mini Excavator #12  
Jim, those links were fantastic! Thanks Thanks!!!!

When the excavator was going over I didn't yell to my buddies, I was too busy hanging on to my privates, dropping the hoe and wondering what my wife was going to dress me in for the funeral.

I suppose that dealer friend of yours is in Maine or Florida...

Everytime I find an interesting car in Hemmings it is located on one of the other corners of the country. (I'm in Washington state)

Yanmar also sells "normal" market stuff too, the local JD dealer is selling them, doesn't Yanmar make the JD engines in the compact tractors? As long as you have a good dealer the grey market excavators wouldn't scare me. I agree though with the comment in the article, the new ones are really slick. One of the 312 Cats I rented was almost brand new, the plastic was still on the seat and the operators manual was greasy fingerprint free. Not even a scratch on the butt where people like to have them backed up against a bank scrape scrape scrape while they are digging!

If you get up much over 18K I'd look at those Cats too, like the E70 I think it is.

del

/ Mini Excavator
I was around to look at some new excavators today. If I buy new it will be either a Kubota or Bobcat. I checked out Thomas but the size of a machine compare to the other brands didn't have enough power. I found two minis around with steel tracks. One is an older Kubota with an offset arm enclosed cab. The Bobcat has the moveable arm in the center and also an enclosed cab.

/ Mini Excavator
The Bobcat excavator is priced at $25,900. The same guy has a 743 Bobcat skid steer w/ enclosed cab for $7,900. He said I could get a package deal for $32,000. It looks good. I found a different 743 for $13,900. It included a trailer, 4 spares,and 2 buckets. It is in good shape too. Does anyone know what the 743 is like to use? Would it be more comparable in size to the 751 or the 753 skid steers they have now. The prices are Canadian.

/ Mini Excavator
Was in town today at my Industrial JD dealer getting some parts and I looked at the Jd 50 Zts or something like that. It looks very compact and I like the no tailswing Idea. the Jd skid steers looked god to but I don't think the have as many attachments as Bobcat. Picked up a Jd brochure and there are lots of things for the excavator I would be able to use. I got some seious thinking ahead of me.

/ Mini Excavator #17  
9/13
Just a couple of quikkies b4 bed.

I would consider NH SSL's, too. Made in PA, great rep.

The zero tailswing thing is good, but watch how it cramps the engine compartment, and does it compromise counterweighting?

See my urls to the new poster above re Case backhoes: pricing sites you can use.

Good luck,
Jim

/ Mini Excavator
Didn't know that NH made a mini excavator. I will definately have to check them out. I decided that I will eventually have a large garden and I will grow vegetables to sell. The cows would provide some fertilizer and I could feed them the vegetable plants at the end of the season.

/ Mini Excavator #19  
9/14

Actually NH does not make them, Schaeff of Germany does, with Mitsubishi engines in their minis (5 ton & below). The NH dealer net is of course bigger, but any diesel shop can work on a Mitsb in a pinch and hydraulics are, well, hydraulics.

Schaeff sells some big stuff, too, starting with a 6 ton with a Perkins in the back (<Tim Taylor grunt>--why doesn't Mohammed give us a [] for that?). Their stuff has some interesting ergometric and related features.

Soon as I get the damn 1120 done for our company I'll be back with more that I have learned and some ?s for Del and the rest of you, so don't anybody buy anything yet /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Jim

/ Mini Excavator #20  
9/15

Now that the 1120S is ready for the mail...

In re-reading your post, I realized you did not catch the "SSL" in my reply. New Holland sells Schaeff mini-excavators under its name, but they make their own fine Skid loaders in PA, just as for many years.

So, if you want to go NH, you can do so on both the units you are discussing.

Me, if I added a SSL to the wish list, divorce would follow /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

Jim