Flushing fuel storage tank

/ Flushing fuel storage tank #1  

The Dougster

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
I have an opportunity to buy (used) a fuel storage tank that formerly contained gasoline.. it still has a couple of gallons of gas and I'm looking for advice on how to flush it so that I can buy and store diesel.... any suggestions? I thank you in advance...

/ Flushing fuel storage tank #2  
If the tank is clean and in good shape, just drain the gasoline and fill it with diesel. The amount of gasoline left on the walls of the tank is so minimal as not be measurable. I regularly use the same five gallon containers for either gasoline or diesel without any effect. I know a guy who repairs tankers that fill up gas stations and they do this all the time. In fact, the tankers who supply the fuel for the gas stations fill the tanks with different fuels several times a day depending on what they need for that delivery.

Another thing about gasoline is that it will evaporate pretty quickly. If you are realy concerned, drain the gasoline and leave the lid off for a day or two.

Gasoline tanks have to be build different then diesel tanks due to the danger of gasoline. It needs to be grounded and the vapors need to be restricted. Once opened up and drained, it's an excellent storage tank for diesel since it's already rated for gasoline.

Eddie

/ Flushing fuel storage tank
Thank you Eddie... I suspected as much but wan't to run it by the forum... I haven't seen the tank yet but the fellow suspects it's a 500-gallon tank.. (I'm guessing smaller)... He said that he had the tank and wanted me to make an offer... I popped off and told him $100 and he didn't blink... It's my guess that it's in pretty bad shape... will go have a look at it next weekend... Again, I appreciate your help..

/ Flushing fuel storage tank #4  
When you drain the gas just make sure you take a good look at it. Check it for other condaminates{sp}. Maybe even slosh the gas around if possible to help clean out the tank. Also if the tank has not been full for some time check for rust, that could raise heck with your fuel lines filters etc.

/ Flushing fuel storage tank #5  
Thank you Eddie... I suspected as much but wan't to run it by the forum... I haven't seen the tank yet but the fellow suspects it's a 500-gallon tank.. (I'm guessing smaller)... He said that he had the tank and wanted me to make an offer... I popped off and told him $100 and he didn't blink... It's my guess that it's in pretty bad shape... will go have a look at it next weekend... Again, I appreciate your help..
Can you use up 500 gallon of diesel fast enough that it wont go bad or get stale?

Appreciate the questions.... Yes, I will check the insides of the tank as best I can and will certainly install a filter once I put it in service...
No Sir, I won't use that much diesel, but, as stated, I suspect that it's probably not a 500-gallon tank... won't see it until this weekend but I'm guessing it's a 250-gallon tank at best... regardless, I doubt I will buy more than 100 to 150-gallons... One thing I need to do this week is check with fuel companies and see what their minimum delivery is.....
I figure that if the tank is 500-gallon and is in fairly decent condition, $100 is cheap enough and I'll re-sell it and buy a tank sized more appropriately..

As far as I know, diesel does not have a "shelf life" but always must take other things into consideration... water, trash, etc...

/ Flushing fuel storage tank #9  
No Sir, I won't use that much diesel, but, as stated, I suspect that it's probably not a 500-gallon tank... won't see it until this weekend but I'm guessing it's a 250-gallon tank at best... regardless, I doubt I will buy more than 100 to 150-gallons...

One thing I need to do this week is check with fuel companies and see what their minimum delivery is..
My fuel supplier has a 150 gallon min Del.
I get around this By having them top off my drum when they are already in my area or going to be driving through my neighborhood.
There is no min gallon or deliver charge required this way.
I can get as little as 25 gallon delivered that way
100_2583.jpg

but I just have them fill this 55 gallon drum when it becomes empty.

/ Flushing fuel storage tank #10  
That amount of gas will not hurt your diesel at all. You should be adding a little additive anyway every fill-up so that will more than cover it.

I have a 250 and a 300 as well as a 50 for my truck, local co. I use has me on auto, they stop and fill every two weeks. Sometimes 8 gallons, sometimes 250, depends on how busy we are.

Good luck with it.