what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch?

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #1  

RJG

G'day experienced towers,

I am looking to buy a trailer to tow my mini-excavator. It weighs in at 9,000lbs and I am planning to tow it with my Ram 2500 Diesel. The trailer spec I am looking at is 18'+2' beavertail, 14,000lb gvwr. This puts the rig with my ex loaded just about at my limit for my truck and the trailer.
I have years of experience with a ball hitch towing light loads but I have never tried towing this much weight or hitching with a gooseneck.
The question I have is: what are the pros and cons of a gooseneck vrs ball hitch (or pintle).
I'm looking for a stable ride and ease of hitching up at the max capacity of my truck and trailer.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.
Randy

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #2  
I vote for a Gooseneck

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #3  
I would say that a 5th wheel is a better choice for stability and balance for sure, but you loose your box for the most part. 9000# on a receiver hitch is fine too if everything is rated correctly. You might need the big 2.5" receiver, and/or equalizers, which are a PITA as well.

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #5  
Another vote for Gooseneck!

I also tow with a 14,000# gvwr 18+2 gooseneck.

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #6  
Gooseneck is best at what you are asking for.
How much in town use are you doing?
A gooseneck needs a little more room to turn, but is easy to get use to.
On the road you will notice the better ride and stability with the gooseneck.

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #7  
Goose-neck gives you allot more maneuverability, really great for tight spots and you can always see what the trailer is doing. it distributes the weight where the truck suspension is strongest. Easy to hitch because you can see everything. The plate and ball are mounted on the bed but really does not take up that much room. I had a friend who built an artificial floor that he could put in the back to give him the flat surface, say for hauling sheets of plywood and such. Good luck.

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #8  
GO GOOSE! It will pull more smoother than a bumper pull any day.

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #9  
Goose-neck gives you allot more maneuverability, really great for tight spots and you can always see what the trailer is doing. it distributes the weight where the truck suspension is strongest. Easy to hitch because you can see everything. The plate and ball are mounted on the bed but really does not take up that much room. I had a friend who built an artificial floor that he could put in the back to give him the flat surface, say for hauling sheets of plywood and such. Good luck.

Or you could just get a B & W:cool:

/ what is best for towing mini-ex - gooseneck or ball hitch? #10  
I tow a similar load (8500lbs and a Ram 2500) with a ball hitch and do ok, but everyone I've talked to says the gooseneck is the way to go. One thing I would suggest is an exhaust brake. It will help a lot on flatland but especially in the hills with that much weight.