KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #11  
Of course it depends on the species and type of root system, but I've been amazed at a couple of stumps I've gotten out with my KX-121-3. One double stump that was over two feet in diameter.

Anything like that in the woods, I'd just find another way around it ;)

The other issue to consider is if you ever have to transport the unit: how much can you handle.

I've been very happy with my -121, it's been an awesome machine for me. Very good for trail work.

Ken

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE
Most of the stump work will be with Spruce/Hemlock, although some Maple/hardwoods also, but not 30 inch stuff. I really don't need to move the equipment at all. If I did I would have the professionals do it. IE I'm not going to buy the proper trailer and truck to haul 12k lbs. (get commercial lis)The issue really is 121 with extra time worth saving 10k or more..or is 161 just going to be much more appropriate over the long haul. I'm renting the 161 on Monday and won't be able to post my review until 8/17. All other thoughts welcome.:)

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #13  
Personally if you're going to be using the machines for that work I'd get the 161. It'll be worth the money. Both are very well built strong machines. There are some quorks but not anything that should hang you up on buying one. If money isn't a huge issue I'd go with the 161. I've done some serious digging in forests with a 161 and was very impressed. I'd go steel as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but both Spruce and Hemlock are flat root or shallow rooted trees so they shouldn't be too much of a pain to dig out.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #14  
That is very good pricing you have there. Your price on the '09 121 is almost $5k less than I was quoted 2 weeks ago. I have not operated a 161, so I cannot make any comparisons. However, I do have about 30 hours in a 121 with rubber tracks and I can give you a few observations.

First, I'll agree with others on the steel tracks. If you're not hauling it around and crossing pavement or concrete areas, the steel tracks would be the way to go for you. I cross a lot of driveways and lawns. Next, I don't see the big advantage of spending the extra money to go with the 6 way blade on the '09 121. That's what I used. The idea is that it also doubles as a regular 6 way dozer. That is where it's relative small size comes into play. I personally don't think it is big enough to justify the 6 way blade for most work. The '08 121 with a 4 way blade should be great in almost all conditions except cutting in a swale or ditch. Finally, I'll respectfully disagree and say that the little 121 will do a great job cutting out most stumps. As many know, I've operated some absolutely huge equipment in the mines and I was used to just raising the bucket out at about 15' high and simply pushing any size tree over. Clearly you won't do that with any mini excavator. Sure, it took a little more time, but I was able to take out even a 20" Cypress stump with the little 121.

If I wasn't buying a new tracked skid steer and some other equipment I would have bought the left over '08 KX121-3 (only has 4 way blade as compared to the '09 model 6 way blade). Again, my opinion is only based on about 30 hours seat time in a 121, but I'm really impressed with them and think they are a great piece of machinery. And, as an added bonus, they easily fit on GN trailers and can be towed with my F350 dually legally without any CDL license or additional fees. Good luck with whatever you buy. I don't think you'll go wrong with either Kubota machine.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #15  
Personally if you're going to be using the machines for that work I'd get the 161. It'll be worth the money. Both are very well built strong machines. There are some quorks but not anything that should hang you up on buying one. If money isn't a huge issue I'd go with the 161. I've done some serious digging in forests with a 161 and was very impressed. I'd go steel as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but both Spruce and Hemlock are flat root or shallow rooted trees so they shouldn't be too much of a pain to dig out.

I've also pulled out some good size(16 Inch 0aks) with my L-39 TLB, but fighting with a stump for 45 minutes to an hour is beating up on a machine. The machine you should buy should be large enough to take out a stump by breaing the main roots and being able to pop the stump with the bucket. For small trees along a trail that you can avoid the Lumber trees, the KX-161 is a good size, but again I have to ask why take a shiny new machine into the woods. I'd get a used machine.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #16  
I would go the KX-161.
The money is not enough to matter.
Here in Ga steel track machines in that size are hard to sale.

As far as stumps it will do well.Of course a 15 ton machine will be better but you always have to stop price wise somewhere.

Attachments

• 0325091641.jpg
    0325091641.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 4,855
   / KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE
Cooter/Cooper/Dargo and all who have helped thank you. I have one more strange question. The cleats on NON-angle 161 are much deeper than ANGLE blade 161 and the tracks are wider. Is that NON-angle machine with deeper cleats going to be better in the woods or really they are equal and the thinner
track on angle 161 and shallow cleats match performance wise..the deeper cleats are needed to match the lighter PSI with wider tracks..?:)

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #18  
Cooter/Cooper/Dargo and all who have helped thank you. I have one more strange question. The cleats on NON-angle 161 are much deeper than ANGLE blade 161 and the tracks are wider. Is that NON-angle machine with deeper cleats going to be better in the woods or really they are equal and the thinner
track on angle 161 and shallow cleats match performance wise..the deeper cleats are needed to match the lighter PSI with wider tracks..?:)

I have never paid any attention to this.
I will add that the Kubota is weak in the pushing department.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #19  
I have never paid any attention to this.
I will add that the Kubota is weak in the pushing department.

It could just be my thoughts based from operating much larger machinery, but I never really expected any of the mini excavators to push too much. I just didn't expect to see that as one of their strong suits. Maybe some do, but based on their relative light weight and relative low hp, I can't see them pushing very hard; especially without steel grousers.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #20  
It could just be my thoughts based from operating much larger machinery, but I never really expected any of the mini excavators to push too much. I just didn't expect to see that as one of their strong suits. Maybe some do, but based on their relative light weight and relative low hp, I can't see them pushing very hard; especially without steel grousers.

I can't compare to anything else since the KX-121 is the only unit I've operated. BUT I don't think steel grousers would help in pushing, the only time I've had the rubber tracks slip was going up a freshly rained on fresh dirt on a steep muddy hill. The drive to the tracks hasn't been strong enough to slide the rubber tracks. I doubt that steel grousers would help in normal pushing.

As many have said, these are not bulldozers. Their main function is with the bucket, not the dozer blade.

Ken