KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #21  
Great info guys- I'm also looking at the 161 vs 121, it seems like if your going to put that $ out there (or debt) why not go for the 161? Maybe the 121 for smaller residential applications? But what about for stonework, boulder work, driveways, small lot clearing etc.? I guess transporting is the biggest issue, 121 fine with a 3/4 ton truck probably need at least a 1 ton for the 161. Just how much heavier duty is that 161? Welcome comments from owners of both- Thanks!

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #22  
I have owned both and found that the if you are going to have only one machine and you are not going to transport it the 161 is the way to go I founf the 161 just to heavy to transport with my f450. However if you are going to move it the 121 is ideal, I still have my 121 and it is just a super machine gets into small places not to heavy on the turf.You will not be sorry either way they are great machines.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #23  
Thanks, yeah the 161 seems like I'd have to upgrade truck and trailer, for just a little more power, what would haul that 161? F550? Is the power difference really obvious between the 121/161? Thanks!

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #24  
Thanks, yeah the 161 seems like I'd have to upgrade truck and trailer, for just a little more power, what would haul that 161? F550? Is the power difference really obvious between the 121/161? Thanks!

I tow my 161 around with an 07' 550, it has no problem getting the job done. The 121 is quite a powerful machine for its weight class, plus, what you are really giving up by purchasing the 121 is some reach, dig depth, and bucket capacity, which if you are not planning on loading large trucks, or digging large full basement additions, in my opinion the 121 would do anything you asked of it. The 161 weighs about 12,500 lbs with a cab and steel tracks and I believe the 121 only weighs a little more than 8000 lbs. That being said, it sounds like a 161 would involve to many other purchases (truck and trailer) to be profitable. Of course, this is just my .02 cents, I hope this helps.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #25  
The 121 weighs about 9800 lbs. with cab/ no thumb, has 2' less reach.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #26  
The 121 weighs about 9800 lbs. with cab/ no thumb, has 2' less reach.

My bad, if it does not have the angle blade it is a bit closer to 9000lbs, which means that a 10000gvw trailer is minimal for transporting, that could be a CDL issue depending on what state you are in.

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #27  
My bad, if it does not have the angle blade it is a bit closer to 9000lbs, which means that a 10000gvw trailer is minimal for transporting, that could be a CDL issue depending on what state you are in.

I have the fun job of putting a new set of tracks on my Takeuchi TB145 tomorrow (oh joy!). I guess it must be between those two Kubota models in weight. It specs closer to the 161 from what I see in comparisons. There again, you know how those can be depending on who is doing the comparing. Anyway, I basically bought the biggest compact excavator that I could buy and still haul it around behind my F350 and not get into needing the CDL hassles. I've used several different brands but I'm rather partial to Takeuchi and Kubota in the compact excavators. There again, the one Case I rented (Yanmar powered like the Tak) was pretty nice too. I've owned 2 different Bobcat minis and nobody is going to convince me that they have the power that the Takeuchi and Kubota minis have. I've noticed on Iron Planet auctions that the only mini excavators that still bring good money when they have 6000, 7000, 8000 hours etc. on them are the Takeuchi and Kubotas.

Oh well, good luck with whatever size you get. Sounds like you can't go wrong. I'm just now realizing how much more fun that track job is going to be on a cold day. Man, I bet those rubber tracks are going to be stiff!

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #28  

Ummm, I don't think so. My 14,000 gvw trailer weights 4500#, so 14,000# GVW would be required.

I highly recommend the angle blade!

Ken

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #29  
Thanks Tags for the tips, I'll have to work my way up to the 550 and the 161! For now it looks like the 121 would do all I need, mainly rebuilding stonewalls, woodlot small stumping projects, etc., and my 3/4 ton will be able to tow it with a 6 ton trailer. Its tempting to go big time 550, 161, but debt load is a concern!

Dargo- How do you like the Takeuchi? I've been looking at those as well, they look like a quality machine; Does the quality of the Kubotas and the like way surpass brands like yanmar, gehl, ? I guess its the ongoing ? of brand loyalty vs where's the real quality;

/ KUBOTA KX121-3 VS 161 CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME DECIDE HERE #30  
Thanks Tags for the tips, I'll have to work my way up to the 550 and the 161! For now it looks like the 121 would do all I need, mainly rebuilding stonewalls, woodlot small stumping projects, etc., and my 3/4 ton will be able to tow it with a 6 ton trailer. Its tempting to go big time 550, 161, but debt load is a concern!

Dargo- How do you like the Takeuchi? I've been looking at those as well, they look like a quality machine; Does the quality of the Kubotas and the like way surpass brands like yanmar, gehl, ? I guess its the ongoing ? of brand loyalty vs where's the real quality;

If you are talking a gooseneck trailer (highly recommended), you'll need a 7 ton, not a 6.

Take has a very good reputation, but their dealer network is very sparse compared to Kubota. LONG TERM, I have more faith in Kubota staying in the American market since they have a major presence.

I also feel that the swing blade is a major advantage that (AFAIK) only Kubota has.

I first rented a KX-121 without the swing blade. I could have bought it used at a good price. But once I saw the swing blade, I knew I had to have it!

Ken