Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #21  
Long noses allow plenty of room for 500+ HP in line six Cummins, Detroit & CAT diesels (well CAT up until this year) without having to sit on top of the engine in a cracker jack box.

Hauls are typically longer in the US compared to little itty-bitty drives in Euro and comfort is desired on long trips. Being mounted over a diesel engine in the jockey box is hot, noisy & shaky.

Americans value enjoyment of their jobs and comfort.

Heck, I dislike having the back 1/3rd of my DT466 in my cab.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #22  
What i still dont get is why you guys buy long nosed dumptrucks with a huge wheelbase: .

Long wheel base is good for our bridge law.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck
Builder, price is all relative. I spent the majority of my working life earning less than $600/month, lost almost all my retirement contributions resigning at company A to work for company B and then company C etc (5 year rule), lost another 3 years of taxes and 21% pension contributions while in Germany. So I assure you that I have some catching up to do...

Some people have $60k in their pickup trucks. The diesel Jetta is the most expensive vehicle we have ever bought and we owe just over $20k on that. I have been looking at trucks in the less than $15k range and I would estimate that your truck should be well over double that if not more. If not, I would like to have a little chat...

Keith

It wasn't as bad as you think. :)

You might be surprised how little I have in it. :)

The King of Obsolete is a great guy. He's given me quite a bit of help.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #24  
What i still dont get is why you guys buy long nosed dumptrucks with a huge wheelbase: You'll need more ground clearance to get over the same hilltop, a longer frame is heavier which means less payload, and a long wheelbase takes a lot of space to turn it around.

Bridge law is a big part of the problem
In Colorado, the max you can get on a straight truck is 54,000lbs with 3 axles. Additional axles do NOT help in Colorado.. (that's just the rules in this state, many others have more with extra axles helping).

to meet Federal Bridge law with 54,000lbs in 3 axles, you have to measure 24 feet from front wheel to rear wheel. (which is effectively a wheelbase of about 22 feet or 264 inches).

In this state, almost all dump trucks have a 14, 15, or 16 foot box and rarely do you see a heavy front axle. And the reason is that most dump trucks weigh about 22,000lbs or so and can thus haul about 15 tons max. Therefore most things are 1 yard per ton, so there's no reason to have a bigger box.

However.
I haul manure and occasionally compost. Manure weighs very little (about 500lbs-750lbs/yard), compost weighs about 1000lbs (1/2 ton) per yard. I can haul 25 yards of compost and still be underweight. Everybody else only has 15/16 yard boxes and can't do that.

That's why my truck is so big. My truck is 5 feet longer than just about anything else in this state.

But I didn't have it built. It's actually a truck from Indiana where extra axles are allowed and do work to add tonnage. When I bought this truck it had two extra lift axles between the rear drives and the cab. This truck probably rated at 66,000/72,000 GVW, but it doesn't work here so I had the axles removed.

That's why MY truck is so long, because it's built for a specific job and nothing else. If i had built it (for a bazillion dollars), I would have gotten something with setback front axle and brought the rears up a foot or two. But it would still have a 20 foot box on it, and that's just going to be a big truck. I bought it because it was reasonably cheap and let me prove the business.

Just having the box built new (not the truck, just the box and installed) for a tractor of my choosing was going to be $33,000. PLUS FET (13% excise tax, plus sales tax, etc). I got this truck for $40k plus put about $13,000 into it so far. I'm still ahead. Especially when you consider any used truck you buy needs $5,000 worth of work, you just don't know what yet.

most dump trucks here in Colorado aren't this big. Nobody makes a cabover tractor anymore here in the states. You can get some cabover straight trucks, but really they are designed for garbage trucks and such.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #25  
BTW, the only thing I"ve seen with the double front steer axles is oil field trucks (which haul a lot of weight). The last price i saw for a 4 axle (2 steer, 2 drive) truck tractor (no box) was like $300,000. (most tractors are about $100k brand new here).

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #27  
Builder, price is all relative. I spent the majority of my working life earning less than $600/month, lost almost all my retirement contributions resigning at company A to work for company B and then company C etc (5 year rule), lost another 3 years of taxes and 21% pension contributions while in Germany. So I assure you that I have some catching up to do...

Some people have $60k in their pickup trucks. The diesel Jetta is the most expensive vehicle we have ever bought and we owe just over $20k on that. I have been looking at trucks in the less than $15k range and I would estimate that your truck should be well over double that if not more. If not, I would like to have a little chat...

Keith

Keith,

I hear you my friend. There's a lot of snotty people on the internet with hundreds of acres or 5-10 cars/trucks or houses given to them by mommy & daddy and an "I'm better than everyone else" or "I know more than you" attitude to go with it. I worked my way up from nothing-made lots of mistakes on the way. I really appreciate your position because I am still looking for the best possible buys. Even though I have a lot to be thankfull for, I'm no where near done my life's work. I rarely overpay and still think $10 is a lot of money. I hope you didn't think I was implying you were one of "them".

I could give you links to a few big 4x4's for $9-$20,000 that are easy to drive and good condition if the deuces don't work out for you. Some are ebay and they're not allowed to be posted here.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck
Builder,
No offense taken. I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, the fact is just that I'm not "loaded" right now.

A question to someone who has a CDL: What are the insurance implications of having a CDL if you are "not for hire". Does it make any difference ? I understand that if moving equipment and the like is part of a business operation, that having a CDL "comes with the territory".

Reading the Michigan CDL handbook, it contains the following statement under exemptions:

[FONT=Arial,Bold]INDIVIDUALS: [/FONT]
Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes.

[FONT=Arial,Bold]FARMERS: [/FONT]​

Operating vehicles within a 150 mile radius of their farm.

An F-endorsement is needed by farmers operating combination vehicles whose towing vehicle has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more. A knowledge test, but no skills test, is required to obtain the Fendorsement. The F-endorsement is [FONT=Arial,Bold]NOT
a CDL.

Previously I had been under the impression that the exemption was for RV's only, but the statement seems to be substantially wider in scope. Maybe I will need to have a discussion with one of the reservists at the office to clarify this text.​

I will check the Colorado statute, since with 36-80 acres I believe that one qualifies for agricultural status if you earn $1500/year from agricultural activities. A 150 mile radius would be plenty to serve my needs, that would even get me to Pueblo on I25 to pick up anything that came in via a freight company.​

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #29  
Private use and farm use are different things. Be sure you are talking about the right thing.

Private/not for hire carriers are what I am. I'm commercial but I don't haul anyone else's stuff. I don't need an M/C number, I don't need to be bonded and I don't have "operating authority" (and don't need it). I do need a CDL, I do need USDOT # and I still have to have all that stuff (inspections, drug tests, paperwork)

Farm use is NOT commercial. You haul only for yourself (you can't haul anyone else's stuff, including hay technically, but how would they know?) and you stay within the 150 mile air mile radius. I don't know if you have to have annual inspections, you don't need a CDL, you do have to stop in mobile DOT inspections and weigh stations.

In Colorado (all states are different, check your own), you do NOT have to stop in port of entry (permanent) scales if you are below 26,000lbs (or an RV). You DO have to stop at the mobile stations (again RV's are exempt).

There are a lot of single axle dumps out there at 25,999GVW. Couple that with a 10,000lb trailer or less and you're still a class C driver. (go over that and you get into B's or A's). Just a thought.

/ Thought on M35A2 AM General "Deuce and a Half", 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck #30  
Would the air brakes on the deuce and a half require you to have a CDL?

MarkV