Volvo control panel

/ Volvo control panel #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I have a EC 45 Volvo mini excavator that this summer the display in control panel is not always coming up properly when switched on. Have switched it off and back on and it will display different usually and may come up fully or not. But until it lights up properly the hyds that are safety control will not operate.

Had lunch with friend today who has a EC 35 doing the same thing. We both believe it is due to moisture in the control panel but mine is parked under shelter and his stays under trap. Any ideas on how to remove moisture from it, any idea if moisture in there could cause such issue. Any idea on replacement that does not cost $1700 which is what they are from Volvo?

/ Volvo control panel
Well does anyone know anything about these control panels or have a suggestion on a site that might?

/ Volvo control panel #3  
I suspect its the controller too.

But before id change it, id clean all the electrical connections with contact cleaner, followed with some dielectric grease.

Id also take the computer out and clean it with contact cleaner if possible. Plus id take it inside and maybe dry it out. Contact cleaner will drive out the water.

But i still think your going to end up changing it. Hopefully not though.

I cant think of an other replacement, besides a used one.

/ Volvo control panel
I suspect its the controller too.

But before id change it, id clean all the electrical connections with contact cleaner, followed with some dielectric grease.

Id also take the computer out and clean it with contact cleaner if possible. Plus id take it inside and maybe dry it out. Contact cleaner will drive out the water.

But i still think your going to end up changing it. Hopefully not though.

I cant think of an other replacement, besides a used one.

Thank you very much.

/ Volvo control panel #5  
Thank you very much.

Give the cleaning thing a try and post back,. Maybe someone else would have some more ideas. When i worked at the dealer, we'd could swap the computer out if necessary and see if that fixes things, unfortunately you dont have that option.

Good luck.

/ Volvo control panel #6  
Take this for what it is worth. If you think the computer itself is damp put it in a bag of uncooked rice for a few days. Sounds strange but my wife saved a cell phone that went through the washer and dryer that way. The phone had a fogged up display and erratic readings. After a week in the rice it has been working like new for a year. Found the idea on a computer search where others had similar results. Don't know why it would not work with the computer.

MarkV

/ Volvo control panel #7  
Rice or an actual dessicant would work.

A trick i saw an old watchmaker do once was to put the item under his desklamp and leave it on for several hours. Gentle heat. Might work too.

/ Volvo control panel
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I pulled it out today and got surprised in many small ways. Heavy little bugger it was but it was so sealed I could not get it open unless I destroyed the case it is in. Seems they place it in a silicone case that is so thin it will tear to pieces as you would have to pry it off. I did get it open just a little and tried spraying some cleaner in it but don't think it made it. Right now am resolved to let it run until it really stops and then have nothing to lose. So far it does go to working correctly after the machine has run for a couple of minutes.

/ Volvo control panel
As I hit submit a question came to my mind, do you have any idea if there is anything else that could cause the control panel display not to light up properly? Also a computer was mentioned, I think it might be in the control panel, does that make sense? It is about 3 inches by 4 by 2 or 3 deep. It does weigh my guess about 2 pounds. This is the same unit that has the display on top.

Again thank you all.

/ Volvo control panel #10  
I cant say for sure as im unfamiliar with your exact machine, but likely theres more than just the display in that box but its hard to say.

Do you have a pic? It would help alot.

I wouldnt go prying too much unless you get to a point where you have to. Some of these circuit boards are sealed in epoxy (conformal coating) to seal out contaminants. You see this a lot in high vibration / exposed things. If yours has that, theres not alot you can do.

I had problems with water in a sensor on my Honda. It was completely sealed (but not encased in epoxy), so i took a very small drill (1/16"?) and drilled a hole. Then injected some contact cleaner and flushed it around a bit. I then sealed the little hole with epoxy. It worked pretty well.

Are you talking about the display with the fuel/hours and idiot lights on it, The instrument panel? Is yours an Open station machine? Does it have the smooth membrane switch pushbuttons?

Last edited: