long 5-n-1 backhoe

/ long 5-n-1 backhoe #1  

chuck1764

Tractor
Yanmar 1700 1975 ford 3550 TLB
I have the opportunity to purchase a long 5-n-1 backhoe for a low price, should i go with it or stay away? This will be used for cleaning up 4 acres and burring a 1/2 acre dump putting in a leach field and two culverts then i plan on reselling in the spring.
Charles Abrams

/ long 5-n-1 backhoe
I have no idea what the term 5-n-one means but the whole machine is made by long and i camt find much online.

/ long 5-n-1 backhoe #4  
Im a fan of a Long 5in1. I was in a tractor junk yard in Decatur Al. I saw a boom that said five in one it was a nice telescopic boom with a slew ring and a winch. then the same colored part was part of a tlb carcus. I checked and MMT Italia had a pic of one with a boom. They were a fairly beefy bulky backhoe bigger than a 4500 Ford. Im not sure where it was made but I think the city of Decature had a few in the municipal yard for various work. They say builders loved them you had a loader backhoe 4in1 bucket an then a telescopic 360 boom. They used them from site prep to setting rafters.

/ long 5-n-1 backhoe #5  
Wasn't Mr. Long an early devloper of backhoe attatchments? For Parts I don't think you can go anywhere dealerwise.

/ long 5-n-1 backhoe #6  
I used to work for a dealer that sold Long tractors years ago as a mechanic. If they are made by the same company I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. They "look" beefy, but are not.

Seems like I heard they were made in Romanina. Metal castings were junk. I had to split the case on a new one (less than a year old) because the transmission was stuck in gear. There was still sand in the transmission from the casting process.

I would only suggest one if it could be had for a very cheap price, and you didnt push it very hard.