Greasing Lower Bearing Unit Kobelco

/ Greasing Lower Bearing Unit Kobelco #1  

craigermags

Hi guys, I have an old but reliable Kobelco K905LC Excavator. I have a question about greasing the bearing unit of the lower unit. There are four zurk fittings that, according to the schmatics. grease a ball (resumably a ball bearing) It normally takes about four pumps from the grease gun to get the grease to come out showing that the ball is greased.

Not knowing for sure how this lower unit actually operates I am asking the following questions. 1) are the grease fittings only greasing the four balls or is the grease suppose to fill up the entire cavity inside the lower bearing unit.

It seems odd that a machine of this size only turns on four ball bearing and there are not bearings going around the whole lower unit.

Can anyone explain this better to me? I surely would be appreciative

/ Greasing Lower Bearing Unit Kobelco #2  
The slew ring ball race is full of ball bearings , all the way round . You put a few pumps of grease in each zerk which are located @ 90* intervals . You then rotate the upper structure to spread the grease amongst all of the ball bearings . Do not over grease as it can dislodge the rubber seal and cause the Ingres of dirt and water into the ball race .

/ Greasing Lower Bearing Unit Kobelco #3  
Ironhorse is right all the new ones we sell we paint right on the circle grease only every 500hr and believe me if you ever had to install a new seal in one you would know why! Have had to do several and most of the time you look like a grease ball till you get it cleaned up and installed.

/ Greasing Lower Bearing Unit Kobelco
Thanks for the explanation. I can visualize what you have said and it makes sense to me now. Craig