My new Ditch Witch HT25

/ My new Ditch Witch HT25 #1  

drw

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
Last month at auction I picked up a HT25 for $3,000. This is the one with a Kubota engine. It has 494 hours.

Everything on the machine works great, but it seems to lack power. When I start digging a trench and get down to about 18" deep, it starts to bog and if I don't lift the bar it'll actually die on me.

I'm planning to replace the engine oil and hydraulic oil (plus filters). Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would cause this lack of power?

/ My new Ditch Witch HT25 #2  
I would change fuel and air filters also. Does it have black smoke under load? Are the hydrolics weak or is the engine? You might have a valve dead heading the pump also check/listen to it while its idleing.

/ My new Ditch Witch HT25
Does it have black smoke under load?

No black smoke under load.

Are the hydrolics weak or is the engine? You might have a valve dead heading the pump also check/listen to it while its idleing.

I'm not sure how to determine which one is weak... How would you know whether it was the hydraulics or the engine?

/ My new Ditch Witch HT25 #4  
No black smoke sounds like a fuel problem, like cloged fuel filter or bad fuel lift pump. Or you may have something wrong with fuel line.
1st take line off & injection pump and turn the key on you should have a good flow of fuel if not start working your way to the tank.

No black smoke sounds like a fuel problem, like cloged fuel filter or bad fuel lift pump. Or you may have something wrong with fuel line.
1st take line off & injection pump and turn the key on you should have a good flow of fuel if not start working your way to the tank.

I'll give it a shot - thanks for the advice!

Well, I've been messing with this machine for a while and am still having trouble finding the problem. (Note, I'm not extremely experienced in working with tractors and engines).

It turns out that I was wrong about what I wrote above: indeed when the machine gets under load, there is a small amount of black smoke being ejected from the muffler. Moreover, it makes some "popping" sounds like it's trying to backfire.

Any thoughts?

/ My new Ditch Witch HT25 #7  
Well, I've been messing with this machine for a while and am still having trouble finding the problem. (Note, I'm not extremely experienced in working with tractors and engines).

It turns out that I was wrong about what I wrote above: indeed when the machine gets under load, there is a small amount of black smoke being ejected from the muffler. Moreover, it makes some "popping" sounds like it's trying to backfire.

Any thoughts?

Burnt valve? I suggest doing a compression test.

/ My new Ditch Witch HT25 #8  
Is that a turbo engine?