Another ASV failure

/ Another ASV failure #1  

QwikDraw

Platinum Member
Tractor
Timber King TK711
Mowing some ROW this past week with the Ammbusher DL66. Engine oil light on comes flickers a bit and goes off. 10 minutes later I notice it comes on and stays on. Shut her down and exit cab. Much smoke coming from engine compartment. Go get truck, start machine drive 20 feet on to trailer. Drive 3 hours home. Next morning look in engine compartment, see missing bolt from engine mount. Drop bottom panel, find bolt. Call three different mechanics and ask if engine mounting bolt could possible go through the block and drain engine oil..all three say no way. Call ASV ask same question...why yes...one bolt does go through the block and will drain the oil out. So you are telling me if an engine mount comes loose (which isn't that uncommon) I drain out my engine oil. Answer "yes". I replace bolt fill 5 quarts of oil that had drained and start engine. It seems to idle fine. Today start machine to move around some mowers and as soon as I idle up it starts rapping and smoke comes out of crank case vent tube...99.9% sure motor is cooked.

Now do I spend the money to fix it or let it rot in the corner of the yard? This machine has cost no less then $10,000 in break downs this year and if I spend another $8000 (a guess) for a motor I can run it for another 2 months before I need another $6000 set of tracks. I still owe $25,000 and it has a value of $0 right now.

The short story is unless you charge $250 per hour this machine is not profitable. I have worked very hard over the past few years and most of my profits have gone to fixing this machine and right now I owe another 25k that I haven't made yet to come out even and that's after I pay for the motor.

/ Another ASV failure #2  
That is terrible...If you bought that new or even if you didn't I would sure start sending some certified letters to the dealer, manufacturer etc. everyone I could. The squeaky wheel gets the attention ! Seriously, that just should not be. I sure hope you find the engine is not cooked. good luck with it and keep us posted.

/ Another ASV failure #3  
that completely sucks!!! Find a big field and ................! Your stuck if you fix it monetarily and very stuck if you don't. The only option I can remotely think of is look for a machine that has burned and maybe you can salvage the engine. If it is knocking that bad it sounds like the lower internal but you might get lucky and do a compreshion test and find different. Maybe it is just the turbo.
I tell you what I love the mulching business, hate the equipment business. keep us posted.

/ Another ASV failure #4  
I feel your pain. I got rid of my ASV and took a loss. Bought a TAK TL 150, while not perfect much better on the repair cost. best of luck

/ Another ASV failure #5  
I would not let it rot in your yard. It's a cancer and will make you sick every day you look at it. But I would let it rot. It should not be that way. You are correct about the $250.00 per hr. Problem is as you know. You can't charge that or even close.

/ Another ASV failure #6  
I am not going to defend ASV but this is a Perkins /CAT engine. Through holes into the crankcase are a dumb move both CAT and Perkins know better then to use. I am afraid it is part of the build it cheaper mentality that plauges all construction equipment anymore.Blind holes mean more metal and machineing costs. If it is knocking it could be a rod bearing, smoke could be rings or the turbo. Most likely if it was that oil starved it is all of the above. Sucks to be sure but WE all need to watch for this kind of event because this is not the only machine it can happen to.

/ Another ASV failure #7  
That is terrible...If you bought that new or even if you didn't I would sure start sending some certified letters to the dealer, manufacturer etc. everyone I could. The squeaky wheel gets the attention ! Seriously, that just should not be. I sure hope you find the engine is not cooked. good luck with it and keep us posted.
These people (ASV/TEREX) could care less if we complain or not. The dealer sends you to ASV and without a law suit you are nobody. Some one called me about being involved possibly in taking legal action against them. Their attorney called ask about my problems. I told him my issues and told him about this site. He can get all he wants right here. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

/ Another ASV failure #8  
I'd be dropping the pan and checking the crank pins for marks , you may be lucky and find a set of Big Ends and Mains will fix it . I have fixed a few engines by linishing the crank pins with fine emery cloth tape . You can get away with a few marks as long as they are not raised . You have 1.5-2.0 Thou oil clearance so a couple of marks wont hurt . I'm not sure about the smoke from the breather but this can be caused by the failed bearings . Because of the increase in bearing clearance , a large quantity of oil gets thrown out of the crank pin and is flung up onto the bore . The oil control rings cannot cope with so much oil so it gets past and gets burnt . If you can get to the pan easily , it's only about $200 for the bearings and a pan gasket . If you get someone to "mike" the crank after your finished linishing it , you may find you can put 1 Thou under size bearings in it , you would need to Plasti Gauge every pin if you do this to make sure they are not tight .

/ Another ASV failure #9  
I would do as Iron Horse is suggesting. If you know you're going to have to put a bottom on it shortly, I wouldn't keep throwing a ton of money at it. Maybe with a little labor you can get it to work and try to make some money for a while.
Though I would have stopped & checked the oil when the light came on, it probably would have been too late anyway. Those lights seem to just always be too late when they go on.

/ Another ASV failure #10  
I have had the same problem with my 07 machine they replaced the motor and asv paid for it you just need to call tom with asv they know they have a problem i promise you arent the first to have this problem the new 08 machines have this problem fixed they changed locktight four different times trying to prevent this but the only fix was a metal strap that you beat back over the bolt when its tight. i feel your pain