Backhoe Controls?

/ Backhoe Controls? #1  

Frosty

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST; Kubota KX040
Are the "two lever" type BH controls (John Deere) the same control configuration as the controls on the compact tractors? If I learned to operate a compact BH then could I reasonably operate a full size BH or vise-versa?

Are the "two lever" type controls (JD) easier to operate than multi-lever controls (Case).

/ Backhoe Controls? #2  
Just depends on what you're used to. If you use the JD pattern all day, then that's what you are proficient at. If you switch to Cat, Ford or excavator controls, then you have to get used to them. The Case controls, especially with extendahoe, will take some getting used to. But being "ambidextrous" is a skill that few have. The controls can be switched if you get the right guy to do it "right" (that means making sure all the secondary reliefs match the function). We used to do it all the time for the guys that have used a certain pattern for so long it was'nt worth "re-learning" and it always worked out fine..........

/ Backhoe Controls?
Sooooo, this means there is no "standard" in the industry between various manufacturers??? A Cat, JD, Ford and others, assuming all are "two stick" controls are different then. WOW! That's like pushing a turn signal up to signal a right turn in one vehicle and in another vehicle this could signal a left turn!

Well, that's not the answer I was hoping for. Thanks for the info, I'm learnin' ... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Backhoe Controls? #4  
Most people refer to the two different patterns as Cat or Deere controlls,Case is pretty much out there on their own,I guess they think the more levers the merrier.I belive the idea behind this originally was to keep an operator with the same brand,but now you can get a Cat w/Deere controlls and vice versa.Alot of the new machines are starting to come out with a switch or lever that switches the pattern so just about any operator can run the machine without any problem.

/ Backhoe Controls? #5  
our Case 580M at work has two-lever controls, with foot controlled extendahoe, wrist, and aux., and it seems to me that our older 580SE also had two-lever control. Being a new BH operator, and haven't used any other setups, I can't picture using three or four levers. I can say that whatever setup I use, I do have fun working with it.

/ Backhoe Controls? #6  
Case still offers the multi-level controls. Dad had them on his first backhoe, a 530, back in the 1960's. He stayed with them through the 580's (b,d,e,k) and my brother has kept on the two hoes he has bought since (l,m). I think the joysticks would be easier to learn, but the four sticks are not that hard to, you simply work two with each by twisting your wrist.

/ Backhoe Controls? #7  
Cat and Deere Ford and Case use a patter that the left hand operates the boom and swing and the righ operated the bucket and crowd. Excavators use the left hand to run the swing and crowd and the right to operate bucket and boom.
I hate and older Case wobble stick they made there control linkages backwards to everone elses. I like the three stick arangment on Case and wobble stick on everything else. My old ford has the 4 stick wich is ok the hydraulics arent split hydraulics wich take away from other funtions.
now most every body makes all 4 types of controls for there machines wobble, 3 and 4 stick and pilot controls.
Dad says the first deere controls were a bit awkwards.
Dad has been an operator 44 years and ive been one 8 we kinda just hop from one machine to another without being disturbed by the different controls.

/ Backhoe Controls? #8  
I have Woods 7500 and 9000 hoe on Deere SSL was on L2900 Kubota
and it has same set up as my Deere 710B hoe.

/ Backhoe Controls? #9  
Text taken from kubota brocure (sp)

Kubota provides a T.P.S.S. on all KX-2 models which allows the operator to chose the Kubota ISO (backhoe style) operating control pattern or the SAE (excavator style) pattern. This change of patterns is made by simply moving the control level to either ISO or SAE position.
Excavator operation becomes more efficient and productive as the operator is able to select the most familiar operating pattern. Potential problems are eliminated as the operator is immediately familiar with machine functions. At the flick of a switch, rental companies, municipalities and fleet owners will benefit by providing their customers or operators the operating pattern most familiar to them.

Attachments

• 17-184060-iso.jpg
    17-184060-iso.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 4,633