Full Size Backhoe

/ Full Size Backhoe #1  

llewellynsd

Tractor
Sath S-370
I need some input as to what type and condition of a full size backhoe I could expect to purchase for around $5000. I live in western Maryland so I know it is a supply and demand type of thing but I was wanting some input from you all out there who have more experience with them than I do.

I'm really not considering a hoe for the back of the tractor since I have experience what a full size hoe can accomplish as compared to a compact tractor. I guess it is the extra height as well as the overall size.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Shawn

/ Full Size Backhoe #2  
I don't know how the market in Maryland compares to that in north Texas, but around here you're not going to get much of a backhoe for 5k. More like 2-3 times the money to get something that will actually work for an hour without breaking, or doesn't drift for a foot after you've released the control lever cause all the pins and bushings are worn out.

Hoes are very useful machines, and they are machines that by their very nature tear themselves up as they are worked. These two factors tend to keep the price of decent used ones up there.

Sure, there's exceptions, someone will probably pop up who just got a 580 Case for a few thousand, a case of beer and an old pup trailer with two flat tires, but I never see those kinda deals around here.

FWIW,
Dave Perry aka karmakanic

/ Full Size Backhoe #3  
I agree, the lowest I usually see is 10K for older Case 580s in reasonable shape. The only rigs coming close would be an odd brand, maybe allis or massey, but those are a nightmare to locate parts for. $5k is backhoe attachment territory. AR/South MO market at least.

/ Full Size Backhoe #4  
I've got a bud who has seventy one Cat 416 B and C's. He tells me he can run one through an auction after twenty five hundred hours and still get twenty thousand for it. And I've used his tractors now and then. He's that kind of friend, the kind that has needy friends. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And those tractors after fifteen hundred hours usually aren't the sharpest tacks in the box. Now I know his are operated by regular guys who don't give a regular darn about anything but still.........

You might get one for five thousand. But if the motor starts and the slop in the pins isn't monumental I would cover my butt and run the serial numbers for it being hot. Remember it's no deal if it's hot and you're the one caught. Even if they don't prosecute you you're still out the five grand.

/ Full Size Backhoe #5  
No, don't expect to find much in that price range. My 580e w/2800 hours was almost 3x that and I had to repack the stabilizers and replace one lift arm. I did however run across a website yesterday <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.romanengine.com/tractorsns/hardy/index.htm>http://www.romanengine.com/tractorsns/hardy/index.htm</A> and they have an extend-a-hoe attachment, a 10' and a 12' digger. No prices or specs. but might be a decent hoe.

/ Full Size Backhoe #6  
I'll ditto the other guys comments that your not gonna get much of a hoe for 5k, my Dad and I bought a 2544 Int. for 5k and it ran and worked but we spent another $1500 getting it into decent operating condition and still yet needs a $300 hyd. pump, I would say a minimum of 10k for one you could get on and work and even then I would look it over good for any problems.

/ Full Size Backhoe #7  
A few years ago my brother bought an old Case 530 hoe for about $5k. He had to replace the entire transmission to get it running. The hoe and loader were still in good shape since it sat with the bad transmission for many years. Luckily he knew a guy who had a Case 530 farm tractor with a blown engine but a good transmission. It was alot of work to change out the transmission, but now he has a strong hoe without having much money invested. Good luck.

/ Full Size Backhoe #8  
I agree completely with the guys. You aren't going to find a backhoe that doesn't need some major work for $5k. You probably aren't going to find one that doesn't need work for under $15-20k really.

/ Full Size Backhoe #9  
If you're looking low end plan on two wheel drive with an open cab and MAYBE you can get something decent for 10-12K. I bought an International 280A extendahhoe for 8K in working condition from the original owner. 20 years old but ran well and I got my work out of it and sold it for what I paid. Didn't want to chance keeping it around and having something major go wrong. Keep looking and you may get lucky.