Cat 257 Track Skid Steer

/ Cat 257 Track Skid Steer #1  

BeeBop

Silver Member
Tractor
02 Kubota L-4610 HST w/4in1 bucket & R-4s
Anyone have any opinions on this new machine? I have been in the market since before the dead sea got sick and am tired of the wait. This track machine is very stout so to speak and seems to ride much better than the Bobcat T-190. The ergonomics are very well thought out and the hand controls are awesome, the only foot control is for the throttle. I will have to wait 1 month for one to get here w A/C but it should be worth the wait. Opinions anyone?

/ Cat 257 Track Skid Steer #2  
The undercarriage is made by ASV. Only good info I have on them. They seem to be the ticket, see about as many Cat skidsteers lately as bobcat or Case. Most of the engines in Cat small equipment are Mitsu or perkins so no probs there. I say go for it.

/ Cat 257 Track Skid Steer #3  
BeeBop,
I demoed the 257 and the 277 and I have to say the 257 felt very under-powered,especially with a full bucket and climbing a hill,it bogged severely and the 277 didn't,I think the track system eats up alot of power.I did really like the ride and I personally think that Cat has the best controll setup out there,real slick,drive with one hand and operate the loader with the other,and having a "gas" pedal is much better than just setting a throttle and going,it gives the operator much more controll.If I was going to buy a skid steer,track or no track,it would be a Cat,just make sure the 257 has enough power to do what you want it too,otherwise you won't be happy with it.

/ Cat 257 Track Skid Steer
Thanks for the replies people. Do you know if the Cat 277 has vertical path lift or not? I do hope it does so it will have the ability to load trucks w/out getting it dumped on ones head in the process. Thanks

/ Cat 257 Track Skid Steer #5  
The 277 is arc path only as best I can tell on their website. http://www.cat.com/
You might also look at these:
http://www.asvi.com/
They are a Cat affiliate. They make the undercarriage for Cat and Cat engines are in their machines. Depending on model, the control may or may not be the same. They have machines up to 105hp. If you need more than this, look for a backhoe loader. HTH

/ Cat 257 Track Skid Steer #6  
I had heard the same thing about some of the models being underpowered.

The 267 is the vertical lift machine, I believe.

The Cat skid steer and ASV machines have engines that are produced by Perkins, which is now owned by Cat.

I think the ASV has a different control pattern; two short levers on the left for travel and a joystick on the right for the loader.

JT

/ Cat 257 Track Skid Steer #7  
The 257 is the vertical path one. Best I can tell, the 267 is the same loader with arc path linkage.

Some ASVs are setup just as you describe, the newer RC 50s have the Cat controls. I suspect as newer models are introduced, they too will be available with Cat controls.