Miniex decision; opinions?

/ Miniex decision; opinions? #1  

MJPetersen

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM 1510-D
I am going to buy a miniex and have found 3 different machines that I am considering in my price range. I will use the machine for general landscaping, small stump removal, and digging next to foundation. I would love to get the opinions of anyone who has run one or more of these machines.

1994 Takeuchi TB015 with 3000hours, track width expansion, and 16 in bucket sold by Takeuchi dealer for $7,600.

1995 Yanmar B17 with 3770 hours and 2 buckets (16 and 24 in) sold by individual for $8680.

1996 Kubota KX41 with 3600 hours, 5 buckets (8 to 24 in), new seat, and trailer sold by company which had it since new for $8680.

All the prices are what is listed and are negotiable. The kubota is close, but the tb015 and Yanmar are each about 4 hours away (in opposite directions).

Any opinions?

Mike

Attachments

• TakeuchiTB015_2.jpg
    TakeuchiTB015_2.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 145
  • b17 side.jpg
    b17 side.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 144
  • KX41.Otwock.jpg
    KX41.Otwock.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 151
   / Miniex decision; opinions? #2  
A cab is important to me.. A deal maker or breaker - but, I know that's not gonna make the machine dig holes any better!

I like the idea of having a 2nd bucket - clean out bucket, too. Good addition if you're doing maintainance work on ditches, pond levees, or irrigation waterways.

I used a Kubota KX41 ('bout 10 years ago) for a week to landscape my yard after our house was built. It was a good machine. Very capable for it's size.

That said -- if it was me plunking down the cash -- I'd go over each with a fine tooth comb. Pins, cylinders, undercarriage, tracks, drive motors, engine (blow-by, etc.) and which ever machine was the "cleanest" overall - that's what I'd buy.

('Course there is that cab question...) ;)

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Miniex decision; opinions? #3  
Hi MJPetersen, I bought a mini JCB 4000lb, 400 hrs, 2 buckets for $9000. Check MachineryTrader.com they have all types of deals. You can narrow your search to mini's the areas you want and the price. Go over any machine you look at with a fine tooth comb. Make sure you run it lift the boom and wiggle the controls some, watching for bad pins etc... Also go over the owner/dealer with a fine tooth comb, bad owners make for bad machinery. There are a lot of mini's out there, the sad part is many have been abused. Witht that said you should have NO trouble finding a decent machine.

/ Miniex decision; opinions?
Check MachineryTrader.com they have all types of deals.

I did not find any listed there in Poland--a few in France and some in Great Britain. It did show me that these things are MUCH less expensive in the US--course our 22% VAT does not help. :mad:

I will definitely check the machine out as carefully as I can.

AKFish, I grew up in AK and my siblings and Dad still live there. I would be too, if I were not here. :) A cab is a plus, and it does not seem to affect the price any.

Thanks,

Mike

/ Miniex decision; opinions? #5  
AKFish, I grew up in AK and my siblings and Dad still live there. I would be too, if I were not here. :) A cab is a plus, and it does not seem to affect the price any.

Thanks,

Mike

Indeed... Small world, huh?

Have always wanted to tour Europe and take in the old architecture and cathedrals, etc. Warsaw would definitely be high on that list!

Lived for 3 years in and around Bareflanks (Fairbanks) but the winter darkness was more than I cared for. Been living on the Kenai Peninsula for over 30 years, now. Every time I consider moving south - a 2 week visit to the lower 48 - immediately cauterizes those nerve endings!!

Lookin' forward to hearing how your "mini-excavator" quest works out.

AKfish

AKFish, I actually grew up in Ninilchik through elementary school and then we moved to the Valley and I graduated from Palmer. My brother lives in Wasilla (he posts on here as AKPilot) and sisters in Palmer and Dad in Talkeetna.

I am going this afternoon to take a closer look at the Kubota--It has so many extras and it is close so that it is appealing. There are many guys on a construction equip forum who swear by the kubota minis. Nothing like getting advice from those who know. Someone said, "You can borrow brains, but you cannot borrow character." I am borrowing brains in this case.

Thanks,

Mike

/ Miniex decision; opinions? #7  
Kubota mini's are strong from everything I've heard. Sounds like ya know what your in for. Keep us updated, and pictures also{if you get one}

I went and checked out the KX41 today. It had not been started for some time and it has been very cold--like 15 below F--but warmer today 26 F. It started right up without any hesitation. The undercarriage seems to be in very good state. lo leaks and straight tracking.

What I was disappointed in is the slop in just about every pin and bushing. The bucket was so sloppy that I will pull that pin and see if the wear is into the material of the stick. Secondly 3 cylinders were seeping oil. The boom cylinder is bypassing internally. Third, there is a fuel leak of some kind on the back side of the engine, I could not see exactly where without pulling the seat and a panel.

The buckets are in good shape and the trailer is in fair shape. But. . . there is a lot of work needed in order to get it ready to work.

Maybe I will go look at another one on Monday.

Mike

/ Miniex decision; opinions? #9  
AKFish, I actually grew up in Ninilchik through elementary school and then we moved to the Valley and I graduated from Palmer. My brother lives in Wasilla (he posts on here as AKPilot) and sisters in Palmer and Dad in Talkeetna.

Thanks,

Mike

I'll be... very close to home.

I ran the Ninilchik weir and Chinook salmon stocking program for a number of years.

Any my youngest son and I brought home some very nice Chinook salmon for the "Barby" from Deep Creek this past June.

He's up in the Valley today for a cross-country ski meet.

Sorry to hear that the Kubota is in rough shape. The Tak looked to be pretty clean in the pics (but no... well, you know).

Don't know much about Yanmar - beyond that they make darn good engines. Everything I've heard regarding Tak's is good.

AKfish