Thieves

/ Thieves #1  

tlbuser

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD310, ASV RC-100
Had to turn around last night to go look for my cellphone. Got back to our site and there was a fuel/lube truck on-site. Problem was, he wasn't the company we use. He was pumping fuel out of our equipment :mad:. He was apprehended last night. According to the sheriff's guys diesel fuel theft is way up again. They've been hitting businesses and houses. This was the second job site that they knew of.

/ Thieves #2  
Had to turn around last night to go look for my cellphone. Got back to our site and there was a fuel/lube truck on-site. Problem was, he wasn't the company we use. He was pumping fuel out of our equipment :mad:. He was apprehended last night. According to the sheriff's guys diesel fuel theft is way up again. They've been hitting businesses and houses. This was the second job site that they knew of.
A glood reason why I don't like place cards .
No sense assisting the fuel Thieves.

/ Thieves #3  
maybe he was just taking it to be cleaned, then he was gonna return it? :D

/ Thieves #4  
Maybe if he accidentally drank a quart of that stuff he might think seriously about ripping people off.

/ Thieves #5  
tl, glad it worked out well for you there. Just wondering was it his company and if not what did they have to say?

/ Thieves #6  

That's pretty sick, it's one thing to be sitting there with a five gallon jug and a garden hose running out of someones tank....happens every day and obvious to anyone who sees it what's going on. Anyone, including the police that sees a fuel truck sitting next to a piece of equipment is going to think they're refueling it for the next day and think nothing of it. How did you handle the situation when you realized what was going on? I know I would immediately weigh my options...do I leave the scene and find a phone? Do I confront them? Do I pull up and and act normal,get my phone, call 911 and leave, or stay and confront them? Actually lots of different ways of handling something like this and some of them potentially dangerous in today's world...you never know who you're dealing with now days! Were they apprehended on site?

As some of you know, I work in corrections and a thief will brag all day long telling stories about all the things he's stolen on the street but he'll whine like a baby or maybe fight like a possessed man over having a 10 cent pack of Ramen noodles stolen from him. The old saying "there is no honor among thieves" was obviously stated by someone who knew one well because it is very true. They seem to be inherently programmed to be snitches. They almost literally line up at internal affairs to give information against other inmates, usually for no reward or extra privilege. They hate us, each other and eventually them selves...totally miserable people, it's the only satisfaction I can find when I think about them and that's what it often takes for people to begin to change.

When they really make thing personal, I used to love to tell them "You're my job security! Good times, bad times, because of you I'll have a job. I'll go home in a few hours and you'll stay here, when you screw up and I catch you, I'll get a raise and promote, when you eventually get out, you'll be back before long and by then your kids will be locked up too and my sons can get a job watching them." Man, talk about pushing hot buttons...thing is, they knew I wasn't too far off the mark. I don't use that line as much as I used too. God kind of pricks my conscience when I loose my cool now days. Oh well, enough of that, Glad you caught the guy and hope you found your cell phone.

/ Thieves #7  
According to the sheriff's guys diesel fuel theft is way up again.

I guess it may go in cycles to some extent, but I can remember having that same problem in Dallas when I was still pretty much a rookie cop in the mid-60s.

/ Thieves #8  
I guess it may go in cycles to some extent, but I can remember having that same problem in Dallas when I was still pretty much a rookie cop in the mid-60s.

The cycle is on the upswing here, too. 'Course diesel is $3.82/gallon. It's more commonplace now than ever to see diesel trucks with in-bed tanks and pumps. And on the other end of the tank is a fill hole or as the case may be; a siphon hole for thieves.

Guy in the Post Office the other day complaining about some kids (young men) prying the cap off his tank in the Safeway parking lot and stealing fuel.

Short days and long nights up here make it easier for no-goods to ply their trade..

AKfish

/ Thieves
Anyone, including the police that sees a fuel truck sitting next to a piece of equipment is going to think they're refueling it for the next day and think nothing of it. How did you handle the situation when you realized what was going on?

My first thought was to confront the guy, luckily better thoughts kicked in. I got the co. name and tag no. on my drive-by, then went looking for a phone. Found one about 2 miles away ( I went the wrong way, there was one within a mile the other direction) called 911. Before I got back, two deputies were there talking to the guy. As good luck allowed, they were at the other convenience store when I called. The driver was giving the deputies a good song and dance. When I was asked if he had permission to service to my equipment, I think the drivers lightbulb went off, he didn't know it was my fuel he was taking. As close as we can guess, he got 125 gallons out of two machines. Apparenly, that qualifies him for a grand teft charge. The truck was impounded and towed before I left.
My phone was right where I left. Next to the log I was sitting on before I left :(