Case 850D Long Track

/ Case 850D Long Track #1  

cdover73

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Mahindra 4530
I'm looking for opinions on this machine. I found one that is well below normal selling price, but appears to be a very nice machine. It is an early 90's dozer. It has a fresh rebuild with only 20 hours on the new hour meter. It also has a new hyd. pump. The undercarriage is said to be 75%. I don't know much else about it and have not been able to get away to go look at it. It is located 10 hours from my house.

I have been shopping around and I am finding 850's all day for between $20K - $35K and a couple over $40K. They are asking $16,500 for this one. I can have it picked up and delivered to my house for $700 by a friend with a low boy, when he makes a haul up that way, which is about every two weeks or so.

My questions are:
1. Does this sound too good to be true?
2. Is this a decent machine (track record overall)?
3. Does anyone have any experience with this model and are there any points of interest I should be aware of?
4. If it is what they say it is, would I be a fool to pass it up or a fool for buying it?

I have a friend who is a mechanic for a local H/E rental fleet who has agreed to go with me to check it out. I am trying to start a small dirt business on the side and this seems like a great starter. Any opinions would be appreciated.

/ Case 850D Long Track
Here is a pic of it...

Attachments

• 1-19-2010 007small.JPG
    1-19-2010 007small.JPG
    395.1 KB · Views: 3,061
   / Case 850D Long Track #4  
ID get the vin tag number and double check its not a scam. Maybe a member from here could go by and look at it for you.

Paul

/ Case 850D Long Track
I had my bank check it and the business out with the BBB and local authorities. All came back clear. I actually drove up to look at it week before last and it was in better shape than I thought, so I bought it. Now I'm waiting for delivery to be arranged. Unless I end up with a $16,000 yard ornament once I get it home, I think I just made the deal of the century.

/ Case 850D Long Track #6  
Sounds like a great deal to me. Looks clean in the pic.

/ Case 850D Long Track
Update:

I am waiting for it to be delivered this weekend. I didn't mention the few things I did find wrong on it. Overall, it ran great, but I wanted to pass this by everyone for opinions, even though it is too late since I already paid for it.

1. The biggest concern was that it had to sit for 30 minutes before it would move. I almost walked away on that. The temp was 34 deg when I was checking it out. It was Thursday and hadn't been cranked since the Monday before. We tried high and low range, forward and reverse and couldn't make it move for the first 30 mins. Then all of a sudden it lurched and started moving. I buried the blade and spun the tracks. No slippage at all, and it seemed very strong. At first I thought it may have the wrong oil for cold temps and possibly a clogged filter or screen. But then I checked the tranny fluid and sure enough there was nothing on the stick (I know, this should have been done first, but the guy said it was already checked out when we got there). We filled it with hyd. oil, but this was after it finally started moving. I had them check it the next day and it didn't hesitate to move at all immediately. I felt better that the tranny was good, but I am concerned about where did the oil go and how long did they run it that way.

2. As I was putting it through the paces (about 2.5 hours in all) I noticed the right brake was mushy. It hesitated to turn to the right but the left was strong. Then I lost all ability to turn right. I pulled the master cylinder caps for both sides and the left was full but the right was empty. I'm guessing there is a leak in the line or the slave cylinder. Again, no big deal.

3. Three of the rollers on the bottom of the left track were sloppy. All of the rest were tight and well sealed. My mechanic friend said he could get them for about $150 each and would help me change them.

Other than these three issues, the machine seems well taken care of. The engine started immediately with no starting aid and no smoke. It ran strong with good oil pressure and no hesitation. The undercarriage, other than the three rollers, was in good shape (about 80%). The bushings had not been turned and only showed slight egg shaping. The sprockets were flat across the top and had very little wear in the valleys. The carrier rollers were tight. The track adjustment was in tact, well adjusted, and showed no signs of failure. The 6-way blade worked well and was tight. There was some slight seepage of oil on two cylinders, but a repack will take care of that later.

Overall I am happy. I think I made a good buy. I can't wait for to get here this weekend so I can start working it around the house. Let me know if anyone has any personal experience with this model. It would be interesting to find out if there are any other concern areas. I know my local Case dealer told me the brakes were the weak link on the 850's. He also mentioned that it is typically a strong machine and failry cheap to get parts for. I guess I will soon find out...

/ Case 850D Long Track #8  
Sounds like you did real well! :D

You've got a margin on like-machines that; even if you have to come up with several $$K you're still ahead on the deal.

I'd think if the tranny had been hurt from workin' it on low fluid - you'd have smelled it!!!

But, the rollers and brakes on the right side... well, maybe the last guy to work the machine ONLY had to go to the right!

AKfish