Welder - How many Hrs r too many?

/ Welder - How many Hrs r too many? #1  

yeehaw

Bronze Member
In the market for a used portable welder and have noticed a wide range of hours on the used ones----understand it would differ depending on if a homeowner owned one vs if a business ran one 8 hrs a day-- but what is a good rule of thumb on buying them used---concerning the hours?---i've always been told to stay away from the ones that have just come off of the pipelines.... or what would you look at if you dont know a true history of them (buying one at auction--all you could tell is that it would run/weld)....
thanks

/ Welder - How many Hrs r too many? #2  
First off what size welder are you looking for amp wise and what engine gas or diesel are you looking at. I would not be afraid to get a trail blazer diesel with 3000 hours on it but I would not get a gasoline welder with that many. Things to look for in a welder is to check the auto idle because if that doesn't work that can be $400.00 quick second is to check the switches in all position to make sure they do not have a dead spot. I also like to weld in all of the positions to if I can to check the out put. I have run a couple of lincoln electric welders and have owned two rangers and after running a miller bobcat I will never go back to lincoln. At about 300 hours my lincoln fried the second circuit board first one was replaced under warrenty second was on me and was not cheap. The auto idles never worked on them the onan performers 16 horse you can not get parts for any more that is a issue with both miller and lincoln though. Post up some more info and I will try to help ya the best I can.

/ Welder - How many Hrs r too many?
hmm- forgot about those circuit boards...
looking for something along the lines of an older Lincoln Ranger 8000 or something equivalent--- used to have one of them and the board went out---sold the rest for parts and ended up getting a new miller (which i no longer have access to)....so that is kinda what I'm looking for---
thanks for that reminder -- good and bad :)

/ Welder - How many Hrs r too many? #4  
Try before you buy! Take some fat rods, a heavy scrap, and helmet in the truck for shopping trips. Burn a few rods in a row and see how things hold up; don't kill the machine, just make it sweat. I've never been to an auction, so I don't know if they'll allow that, and if a private seller wouldn't allow it then no sale.

I don't have any hard advice on engines except to stay away from little high speed (3600rpm) diesels as they don't have the longevity of larger/slower diesels. Also, if it's an air-cooled engine with ducting like a Wisconsin or Deutz that has sat for a while then make sure there isn't anything in there that will block airflow over any of the cylinders; a little mouse or wasp nest will cook things in short order.

If you're getting something like a vintage Pipeliner or Hobart, then hours aren't an issue; if it's in good working order then it should continue serving you well if properly serviced. One thing you should definately check before buying an old welder, or at least before putting it to work, is the condition of the brushes, brush spring tension and commutator.

I used a few newer Millers and I think the first service, exclusive of the engine, was at 1000 hours. For what it's worth, I've never known anybody to have problems with the electronics in their newer machines.

/ Welder - How many Hrs r too many? #5  
hmm- forgot about those circuit boards...
looking for something along the lines of an older Lincoln Ranger 8000 or something equivalent--- used to have one of them and the board went out---sold the rest for parts and ended up getting a new miller (which i no longer have access to)....so that is kinda what I'm looking for---
thanks for that reminder -- good and bad :)

I have a Ranger 8000 if you are interested. Where are you located?

/ Welder - How many Hrs r too many?
Interested -- but not enough to drive to Florida--- located in arkansas...
thanks for the offer

/ Welder - How many Hrs r too many? #7  
If you are in north arkansas this guy has one. I looked at it but i know 0 about them. It's a rental place and his name is Jim. 1-573-351-1474.