Dozer work -- How much will it cost me?

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me? #1  

yeehaw

Bronze Member
understood different regions will vary -- but on clear cut land --- stumps mostly less than 3-4" tall and (most) a foot wide -- some of course wider -- what should i expect to pay to try and convert to pasture land (overnight of course :cool:) looking for a ballpark figure before i call a couple of guys to give an estimate
thanks

wasnt sure were to post -- other section didnt look like it had much activity...

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me? #2  
The stumps would be easier to remove if they were up 3 to 4 feet not inches. With them that low you may have to dig them out and that will add to the cost.

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me? #3  
A mulching outfit would likely be much cheaper and faster than a dozer outfit. Plus you wont have to dispose of the stumps. Look for someone with a mulching attachment on a piece of equipment such as a skid steer, excavator, or tracked loader.

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me? #5  
You're much better off with an excavator with a thumb than a dozer. Dozers end up mixing in much of the top soil with the stumps. Either way, cutting the stumps short is the best bet for removal, but short of grinding them all I'd pull them with an excavator, shake the dirt free, stack them and burn them.

I do it all the time, much cleaner and less waste of soil.

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me?
so i guess that goes back to my original question -- maybe with an excavator (what i would call a trackhoe)--i would figure most operators would like to charge by the hour (so how much is a ball park to expect)...but i would rather pay by the acre---so any idea on a high cost/per/acre on described above (typical pine stumps...not a tree left)...

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me? #7  
Yeehaw we could all give quesstimates on your costs, but that will do you NO GOOD. The guy that does the job for you will be the end decision. It's also hard to make a proper $ estimate without seeing the actual job.

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me?
thats what it seems like---thanks for the responses-- heres hoping for $200/acre-- ha more like $5-600 would be fine with me...

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me? #9  
too many people want the cheapest solution. You only have to do it once..if you hire someone who does it right. Whether it's uprooting or grinding, you need to find a contractor that you can do business with. The cheapest guy may not have insurance or decent equipment. What may take the more expensive guy a day and a half could take a week with EL Cheapo who may be running worn out, leaky equipment.
Look for a long-term relationship. A friend. An astute businessman and/or owner operator will be competitive with pricing but will likely be a few dollars more. In the scheme of things, it's worth paying a little more for the guy who can fix it all and won't camp out on your property while his beaten down old machine rusts.

Ask around your area for a good company who has insurance. You don't want farmer Ted coming over with his old cable dozer and tearing up your pastures and or damaging something only to find out ole' Ted has no insurance.
There is no barrier to entry in this line of work so the consumer really has to be careful. What may seem like a good deal can set you up for a nightmare of pain. Sure, uprooting stumps isn't brain surgery but a lot of finesse along the way will ensure less cost later to fix the ruts, stump holes, and mess the cheap guy left.

/ Dozer work -- How much will it cost me? #10  
thats what it seems like---thanks for the responses-- heres hoping for $200/acre-- ha more like $5-600 would be fine with me...

Have you looked into rentals, you can rent something the size of a 312 cat{ex} that would work quite well? They are not all that hard to run, plus you'll have a blast doing it yourself. Just a suggestion, poppong roots isn't like digging a pond or foundation.